Carpet Or Hardwood Floor?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Here's the thing. In the picture which I posted, the floors are finished with 3 coats of poly. If I went over them with some 400 grit sand paper and then used a buffing compound and later with a little Pledge, it would indeed be slicker than petroleum jelly on a brass door knob.
    You guys do remember trying to get into your parents bedroom at night when you were 3 or 4 years old, don't you? The door knobs were greased up for a reason. Do forgive me for I do digress into the abyss ....

By leaving the floors "raw", it doesn't get real slick. With the type of finish I use on hardwood floors, trying to slide across them in your socks would be pretty hard to do.
    High shine doesn't necessarily mean slick.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In a similar vein, what does everyone think should be on kitchen floors?

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never known anything but vinyl flooring which is on our kitchen floor. Cheap and easy to lay with the adhesive stick tiles.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I have spent the majority of my secular working life on commercial non-slip clay tile flooring. It doesn't burn, mar when the appliances are moved, easy to clean, keeps it's color, and yes, I even like a floor drain or two so it can be "swabbed", rinsed and squeegeed. I'm all about commercial kitchens right down to a single tray, high pressure, self heated, 3 minute dishwasher.

But alas, we have vinyl and for now, I'm stuck with it until sometime next year. I do plan on putting brick veneer or clay tile around the border extending just past the appliances with hardwoods in the center but that again, is a future thing. And..........the dishwasher is two hands, soap, a sink with a faucet and a drain rack next to it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have vinyl now, but want to replace the flooring with something. My wife is concerned with breakage on tile floors--she is not the most graceful person with dishes. The tile and the floor drains bring the "self-cleaning house" to mind....

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

If I ever get tile flooring I am gettting paper and plastic dishes and cups, lol.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Is Melmac or however it’s spelled still around? You could almost whack that stuff with a hammer and it wouldn’t break. Unfortunately, my step mother loved the stuff.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think it is around, although I haven't seen it for years. I think it was mostly displaced by Corelle, which is breakable whatever the claims. We used to have Melmac dishes and aluminum "glasses"

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

If it is, it doesn't look anything as we remember it and probably cost more to boot.

@Don Alaska I cut myself on Corelle once. That sliver hurt like allgetout.I would never buy it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

My wife tells me that the Melmac now available is used for children's dishes. The old stuff isn't around anymore.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I know we've strayed from the topic from flooring to dishes and it's probably all my fault. That said, when we had the restaurant there was a guy who didn't like his food touching. The rice couldn't touch the meat, the meat couldn't touch the vegies etc. So, we found one of the old three compartment Melmac plates and that's what we served his food on.

Funny thing about that restaurant. When I redid the flooring in the kitchen, it was initially just a vinyl tile thing with many of the tiles pealing up.
    So, I got a product that is made for garages and "poured" the floors behind the bar and in the kitchen. It was sort of rubbery when it dried, self leveling because it was initially a liquid and pretty easy to clean but it was.......grey. Not a great look but I wanted functional and couldn't really afford clay tile.
    The other good side is that plates stood a better chance of not breaking when they fell.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the light real oak wood flooring we have in all rooms except the bathroom. It is not slippery at all so we don't worry about falling on it.

In the home I grew up in we had oak parquet flooring and it was usually my job to wax and buff all of it...just because I actually liked rubbing that paste wax into the oak and then buffing it to a high shine. But waxing the oak flooring did make it slippery and my siblings and I would often put on a pair of socks and "slip and slide" down the long hall we had.

Since we don't wax our oak flooring in the cottage we live in...we have no problem with it being slippery. And I love the easy upkeep of it. This Winter though if we don't get the insulation put under the house...I will buy a nice skid proof area rug to cover most of the livingroom flooring to help keep out the cold.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.