Cataracts

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Brittany Houser, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought so too, Dave. I had an eye exam a year ago, and my Optometrist never said a word about cataracts. About 2 or three months ago, I started losing vision in my right eye. It got so bad, I went in for an exam, and they told me I do have cataracts in both eyes, much worse in my right. I was kind of surprised by how quickly they developed. Better have yours checked.

2. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Brittany. I have an appointment soon after I get back to Florida.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Any news about the eye surgery, @Brittany Houser ? It is not quite six weeks yet; but I haven't seen you mention how you were doing or whether the sight is still getting worse in your eyes ?

Brittany Houser likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had my eyes examined about six weeks ago, and was told that my cataracts were worse,but when I asked about the new Lasik(?) surgery, I was told that it would be three or four years before I could have the surgery. So I ended up with my glasses for daily use, and glassess for up close work. But, things are still fuzzy.

5. Brittany Houser

Registered

I'm going on the 14th. of this month to be examined by the surgeon, Yvonne. My eyesight IS getting worse. I can still see to drive and work, but everything is blurry out of my right eye. I can't wait to get it over with.

6. Yvonne Smith

Were you able to try any of the pure aloe to see if that would clear it up any ? I was reading somewhere that pumpkin seeds DO help cataracts; so whatever my Dad's cousin was told apparently had some truth to it.
    At least the surgery should help you right away, so hopefully they will get it scheduled for you soon.
    Medicare also sends you for an eye exam (I think every year) so if you have Medicare, they might also be able to help.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Brittany Houser, I'm sorry that I've had my head in the clouds for some time now, but you most surely will be in my daily prayers. I hope Wednesday will bring you good news for the renewal of your sight.

Brittany Houser and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Brittany Houser

Registered

Thank you Ina! I just found out that my appointment is not until the 21st. LOL I had the wrong Wednesday in mind. Talk about having your head in the clouds! I have so much going on that I can't even keep up with my doctor appointments! I do appreciate your prayers.

9. Janie McCon

Janie McCon Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Janie McCon

Registered

@Yvonne Smith Do you know where I can find pure aloe vera you can trust? I have cataract both eyes
    and it is getting worse and I want to try it using aloe vera liquid? not gel? organic aloe vera juice?
    how often 3 times a day can do every 3 hours won't that hurt? I want to try before surgery anything natural remedies I am willing to try even homeopathy and raw or roasted pumpkin seeds? thanks

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Cataracts can be reversed in the early stages with a diet high in antioxidants but in later stages surgery is the only way.

12. Yvonne Smith

@Janie McCon , the pumpkin seeds have to be raw ones; because when they are roasted or processed, they lose most of the nutrients. I hae no idea how much my relative ate of the seeds because i was just a little girl when it happened. We used to go and visit kate, and she was one of my most favorite relatives; so I remember her telling my mom that she was going blind with the cataracts. Then she said that someone told her to eat the pumpkin seeds and she did, and a while laer, she happily told us that she could now see well enough to pass her driver license eye exam.

As for the pure aloe juice, i am pretty sure that I got it from the health food store. We used aloe vera for all kinds of things, and I usually had a few plants growing; but I got the pure juice for the eye drops.
    I put it in Betty's eyes about twice a day. When i started , her eyes were a milky white, and you could not even see the little brown eyes underneath the film.
    I would hold her in my lap, and drop a few drops in with an eye dropper, and then just hold her and pet her for a while as it worked on her eyes. Soon, her eyes would start tearing, and I wiped that off with kleenex tissue.
    It only took about a week of this for her to be able to see again; but we still put the drops in once a week or so just for prevention.
    I also dropped a little chunk of aloe vera leaf in her water bowl; so she was getting a bit if it internally whenever she got a drink of water.
    When I used aloe vera in my eyes, I found that it was best to close my eyes while it was working, and then just wipe around my eyes once they started tearing and cleaning my eye.
    Some aloe has extra things added, like the kind you buy for sunburns, and even ssome that is drinkable has extra vitamin C in it. You jusst have to read the label and look for ones without extra ingredients.

13. Janie McCon

Registered

@Yvonne Smith thank you I will try it as soon I find the raw pumpkin seeds and aloe vera. my left eye is no longer early cataract, its cloudy and blurring halo around light bulbs and my rt eye is catching up the same so hope not too late but worth a try. thanks again.

14. Yvonne Smith

Where are you from, @Janie McCon ? I live in Alabama, and we have a large grocery chain here called Kroger. They have a health food section and it has raw seeds of all kinds. Actually, they are kind of mixed with the fruits and veggies, or at least in the same part of the store.
    If you live where there is a Kroger, you might try that, or otherwise, just check out any nearby large grocery that carries a health food selection.
    Possibly, Amazon would even sell them, I have never looked on there for pumpkin seeds; but they sure have about the best selection of everything that I have ever looked for.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley, I used aloe vera for a lot of things, and I wish it was as cheap here as it was there, and available in gallon containers. Better yet, I grew aloe vera there. I don't have cataracts, so I haven't used it for that but it has a lot of uses. Adding it to the bath water left me feeling good even when there wasn't anything in particular that I wanted to fix.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.