Cell Phone Etiquette

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Cell phones for us are for emergencies, when out for any reason leave the phone in the glove box. Retired so no use at work. So for etiquette we get a halo. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought my first cell phone(actually it was called a bag phone then because it came in a big bag) after an emergency. I was commuting 1-1/2 hours into Boston and one day one the way home There was a huge traffic jamb caused by a construction crew hitting a gas line. It took me almost 4 hours to get home the night and I decided that I needed to have a phone to keep my wife abreast of events. The service on that thing was horrible barely better than nothing. Nowadays I use my phone still for emergencies but it's also easier for me to communicate with people via texting because of my hearing problem.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Cell phones are life savers,but only if you can reach them. Few years ago my brother was salvaging scrap from a burnt barn. A wall collapsed and pinned him. Luckily a friend saw his truck and stopped by. Jeff had been pinned for close to six hours. He was hospitilazed for over a week recovering from bruised organs.
    He said the worst part was knowing his cell phone was in his truck fifty feet away!
    My phone stays in my pocket!

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wow, I’m glad a friend showed up!
    Believe it or not, it’s such scenarios that have gone through my brain which is one reason I’m thankful for my Apple watch. Last year at this time I was working under houses that I could have found myself stuck under at any time. My wife worried about it and saved up for my watch and now I will not go anywhere without it.
    However, there is one problem with it. It detects sudden or hard moves which might be construed as a fall. When it detects such a movement it asks if I have fallen and I am given a few seconds to respond by touching the “I have not fallen” and “No, I do not need help” buttons.
    If for whatever reason I do not respond fairly quickly or do not notice the vibration warning me of the query, it will call 911 and send a GPS address to whomever.
    The problem? I am always doing something that upsets the watch and I have to tell it I have not fallen at least once a day.

Yvonne Smith likes this.