Censorship On Forums

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Trevalius Guyus, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello to all!

I am here because another forum I was on, for several years, has begun censoring, at the whim of its moderator.

When I contacted this guy, after a post of mine disappeared, a post that absolutely violated not a single forum TOS, he replied that he can do as he pleases, whenever he wants. He went on to write that I'm not his boss, and I need to "deal with it!"

The straw that broke this camel's back was that he included his girlfriend/wife in our PM, so she could thumb up his nonsensical reply to me. Boy, I'll bet he felt like a real man. Lol!

Anyway, in looking around, here, I see that just about anything goes, and that's fine, with me. As soon as someone with a little man/woman complex begins censoring, then a true forum environment, with true freedom of speech, is impossible.

I look forward to getting to know y'all. I do know a few good folks, in here, from the other forum, as above.

On with the show!

Frank Sanoica and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome back again, @Trevalius Guyus ! I thought you had put your toe in the water here and didn’t want to stay and swim. Refugees from other forums are always welcome here,
    Our admin is the best in the whole world, and there is only one main rule, which we ALL try hard to follow. It is ( Reader’s Digest version) to try not to be offensive, and try not to be easily offended.
    Pretty much that covers the necessary guidelines, and just about anything is an acceptable topic here, as long as it is done with decency and consideration for other peoples thoughts and beliefs.

As you noticed, we have other people who arrived here from other forums, some you will probably already know; and others will become new friends. Please join in anywhere, feel free to start new threads in any category that interests you, and try to stay longer this time......

Hoping you will use your avatar also. If you have questions about how the forum software works, just give a shout, and one of us will know the answer, or ask in the help section and we will figure it out.

Lois Winters and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  3. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

Thanks for your kind words, Yvonne! They are greatly appreciated.

There was antisemitism on the last forum I was on, two cases of it, actually, and I had to call the moderator's attention to it, to get it removed. He resented me for that, oddly, hence his comment about me not being his boss. Weird little man. Glad to be off that forum.

I look forward to getting more involved with this forum. Again, thanks for the welcome back.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome, BUT, just a little FYI...…….. please don't think this forum is a total "free for all", because you'll find out it isn't. There are very nice members here, but sometimes things can get a little carried away. Ken will then step in and clear it up.

As for me, I don't like the "free for all" type forum. I've been with this forum since 2015.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  5. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

Oh yeah, I'm not an advocate for complete chaos. Far from it. It's just that the last forum I was on had a mod who deleted posts just because he felt like it, without being able to substantiate his reasons for doing so. Also, he actually failed to delete highly offensive posts of an extremely sensitive nature, until someone pointed out those posts to him. When his censorship became hit or miss, I was told to "deal with it!" I dealt with it, alright-----I left!

FWIW, I don't plan to spend more time on the subject of the forum I left. Instead, I eagerly look forward to contributing to this forum, and getting to know new folks in here, and learning about them, from their posts.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's not exactly true, that anything goes. We expect people to be civil to one another. In the US, at least, freedom of speech is intended to apply only to the federal government, not to private forums, although states may have similar language in their constitutions, as well. My point, however, is that it does not apply to Internet forums. Everyone who puts up an Internet forum has expectations that may or may not be spelled out in lengthy statements of rules and regulations, but I don't think I'd want to be part of a forum where anything goes. Since forums are usually run by people, we sometimes make mistakes too. We try to be reasonable, but it's not as if anything goes.