Chayote Squash

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

• [​IMG]
    Ever hear of it? Ever eat it? Our Smith's (Kroger) store has a surplus produce bin, in which they bag many products either no longer cosmetically attractive, or otherwise not saleable, usually about 6 items per bag, all 99 cents a bag.

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up a bag with 4 nice yellow squash, and 2 Chayote squash, identified by stickers on them. They were green, with slight browning of the skin at the small end.

I cut one up, fried it in with my usual "soup", and found the pieces were still crisper and tougher after the cooking time usually needed for yellow squash. In fact, after 30 minutes it was still not soft enough to my liking. Ate it anyway, no repercussions. Since then, my wife assured me she would eat the other one. Didn't happen, so tonight I sought her help. She suggested microwaving the cut-up Chayote 3 minutes before frying in with the other stuff. 3 wasn't enough, 5 seemed acceptable.

I just finished the concoction about 15 minutes ago: Onion, yellow squash, daub of Cream of Celery Soup, Chayote, burger patties cut-up small, (these are from "dining credits" at Edgewater, my wife gets (2) credits of $20 per month. Their Wild Style restaurant grinds up chuck steak in plain view, for their burgers. Not cheap, unless they're free! 4 double-stack burgers (2 big patties) @ $5.99 each, with card discounts, our net cost $2.77. My wife only eats the meat, I follow suit, and the buns get cut up into little pieces for the animals: Quail, Doves, Chipmunks, Finches, and Pigeons, which we try to scare off.

So my dinner is over. Chayote squash turns brown exactly like an apple cut open. But, no sweet taste like apple. Name sounds Spanish. Still nursing a sore tooth-hole after extraction, and careful to chew elsewhere, but getting better day by day. Still white bone visible down in there. Sorry to spoil the scene, but I'm dealing with it, while still being hungry all the time!
    Frank