Checking Account?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you still maintain a checking account? Pay bills by check by mail? Just wondering about a few I know who do absolutely everything on-line, how wise is that?

Just ordered more checks. Maximum shipping charge for quickest delivery was 4 times the cost of the checks! I went with "bulk" postal, free.

Frank

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What a coincidence. Last week, I was surprised to find my checking account being charged of penalty to the tune of 900 pesos, that's about $20. The penalty was due to the balance which was lesser than the minimum. My husband scolded me for maintaining the checking account since I already have another checking account that I regularly use. That account which was penalized was not being used anymore (obviously I have neglected it). So why now close it? Yeah, I have to agree that that checking account has no particular use for me anymore and it has outlived its use.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I pay all my bills by check except for a couple of utility bills that are auto deduction. Most of my income is direct deposited into my checking account. When there gets to be too much in the account I'll put some into my investment account. I never put my bank info online.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife pays bills by check/mail, but a couple I deliver myself. Our incomes go automatically into one/our checking account and then she will transfer some into savings. My wife's career has been in Accounting and Finance, so she takes care of bills. Certain things can only be bought online, so...........

Funny thing is, my brother and his wife have separate banking accounts because he doesn't like tithing to their church the amount she does.

We also know a couple that, the wife has a separate banking account from her husband because she don't want him spending her SS money and he don't want her using his retirement and SS for her expenses (nails, hair, whatever). He made more money before he retired and she had full access to one account, theirs, and loved to spend the money. He had to put a lid on that due to less income after retirement. She sure misses the lifestyle they use to have when he worked full-time........Cruises, going to Vegas and the such.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a checking account , some bills I pay by check but not many. Some are automatic deductions and AT&T Uverse I make payment over phone.

The only bills I do with an auto deduct from my acct are the ones that are the same amt every month.

Those would be Geico my car insurance...ADT my security system...Clark's my pest control... Netflix and I think that's it. I probably forgot a few but they are small or not every month like Amazon prime.

My widows benefits are directly deposited and now that I have medicare part B, I get $127 less each month.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not to get "off-topic", but, do you have Medicare Part A, that is free? Do you also have a supplement for your Medicare B and a Drug Plan? Just wondering. We have the "A", a supplement and a drug plan. I'm lucky because I have VA also, but had to spend some years in the military for that.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a checking account for the few places we go that don't take cards, such as the Amish store, and I think they even began taking cards a year or so ago. Mostly, I think we have it because Paypal requires its accounts to be tied to a checking account.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I have part A and B and a supplemental. So far it's been good. Haven't paid a dime for all my tests including the echocardiogram and stress test.

My supplemental covers my meds, think I pay $5.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott

Ha, I only wish ours worked as well as yours! I have to periodically add dough to the checking account from the "stash". We seem to overspend a lot.
    Frank

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I never have extra but I always have enough, so I'm happy. :)

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I use a checking account for everything except rent and insurance. I'm old fashioned I guess. Just don't like the idea of other people helping themselves to my money. If I could, I wouldn't deal with banks at all, except to cash my pay check.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, you must have something different that some of us do here on the Forum. Wife and I have a Part B deductible of $166 a year. We haven't got the bill yet for her stress test, but had to pay $69, out of $250, for my MRI. My wife pays more monthly for Part B than I do.
    Oh well, back to the Thread.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny thing, I told my wife just last night that there are two key things to being a Senior and Retirement...........good health and money. And, to have good health it takes money. Today, much more than yesteryears, the word "money" plays a major key part in everyone's life, especially those of Senior-Retirement age. A descent Savings, along with a nice Pension, plus SS seem to be the name of the game. Most enjoyable things take money.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Is the $166 for each of you for Part B or together?

I'm positive I pay $127 for part B, I don't work though so maybe because your wife works it's higher.

Edit: went to my acct online and checked an did the math...sorry, it's $121 a month for part B.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I pay what I paid in 2015, $104.90 per month w/a yearly deductible of $166. My wife pays the extra $17 per month for B, because of her salary. Each of us have to pay the $166 yearly deductible. My Florida Blue Supplement doesn't cover x-rays, MRI's or other scans and we didn't know that when we got it. However, it does pay the entire amount that is a requirement to get admitted into a hospital.........the upfront cost. We also pay for Humana Drug Plan (Walmart). But, some of this may change once we move back to Colorado. Currently, my PCP is a VA doctor and I will keep her. I also plan on getting a second doctor outside the VA, because our VA Hospital is miles away.

Chrissy Cross likes this.