Child-proof

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The dexterity of kids cannot be questioned. Very young, I hand-filed a key to gain access to the locked metal strongbox in our attic containing, among various papers and such, the one item of interest: my Dad's Colt .45 Automatic. I succeeded in opening it, retrieving the arm (which I had already been permitted to handle numerous times), knew it was not loaded (I checked!), then "chicken" returning, I realized that if my key failed to re-lock the enclosure, the jig would be up! Extreme example, I know.

This evening, feeling a return of the flu-like symptoms of past 10 days, I endeavored to take another of the cold-remedy capsules I had found buried during the worst of the flu a week ago. Packaged in twin-form, two capsules side by side within a clear blister-pack of plastic, I sliced one off using scissors. From there, it was a matter of separating the clear coating from the colored other side's, a feat my fingers faltered at. My wife squeezed the damned conglomeration open, the capsule popped out, and I went about ranting of the assumption by those in control that children knew nothing about the use of scissors!

Child-proof. A small-enough kid could easily chew through the plastic, having teeth. An older one might use my method, but by then he'd know how to READ, and see he SHOULD NOT mess with this stuff. The biggest kid, me, no longer dexterous, would cuss and seek outside help.

Who is kidding who with these child "constraints"?
    Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I think its gone too far, I do meself a mischief trying to open things, so I don't even try now :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of the child proofing now days really only keeps the adult kids like us from getting into the stuff. :)

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I think you are right about this Frank. I have got a prescription for some stomach medicine Donnatal which is prescription because it has a small amount of phenobarbital in it. If I don't ask for a non child proof cap, it can become almost impossible to remove because it's a syrup and sticky. As far as prescriptions go, it's almost too bad they use child proof caps on everything since many have no kids in the house.

I hope you are feeling better.

5. Maisie Walker

Maisie Walker Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank Goodness its not only me.
    I have a daily tussle with my medication because of the rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers. I can let a few swear words off under my breath and by the time I DO manage to get the blasted pills out I feel worn out.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If I were a conspiracy theorist, my first thought might be that the extra child proofing is placed there by the drug companies in order to make us take more drugs.
    In order to open a bottle or a package, there is some anxiety and sometimes pain involved in the process. With the added pain we open our prescription of pain pills then go for the antidepressants because we realize that age is a factor. With the added anxiety we get a prescription for some kind of happy pill because if we do not then the frustration raises our blood pressure and might be the final trigger that starts a heart attack. Finally, we wind up with $1000 worth of preventative prescriptions just to open a lousy pill package to retrieve an aspirin.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

A bleach bottle is impossible for me - how you get on over there ?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have scissors in every room. In the kitchen I also have a small excato knife.I remove like lunchmeats from their plastic wrap and put them in containers I can open.
    I hate plastic and use these items alot.
    For some reason the meds...have three..do not have child proof tops. Not sure how that happened.
    Yes trying to open things at this stage can become real task.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The caps used by the pharmacy I use are reversible so, while they come with the child-proof cap, once it is opened for the first time, the cap can be turned around, after which it works as a regular cap. The sad thing about child-proof caps is that it often takes a child to open them.

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Meant too say I use the scissors and knife a lot...!

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The ones I get are reversible, too. I use the childproof side because of Bubba. It's not that difficult to open; press it against the palm of your hand and turn. I hate those blister packs on anything and everything. I am quite sure that they were invented by someone with a deep hatred for humanity.