Child Sexual Abuse, Ricky Gervais And Jim Carey

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Ricky Gervais and Jim Carey are my two most favorite comedians. Gervais' s series The Office is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He has grown rich enough to not care who he offends. Perhaps he didn't care even before he was rich.He thinks that anything and everything are subjects for humor. In his Golden Globe speech he was funny, of course, but he was also taking a serious stab at Hollywood's penchant for pedophilia and abuse of women. Towards the end he takes at shot at the people who knew about Harvey Weinstein and said nothing.

Jim Carey is another story, at least for me. He appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel Show giving an Illuminati sign with added sexual content.

It's unclear to me if he was spoofing the conspiracy theory or outing the participants. Let me know what you think of each of these two.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Gervais - definite thumbs up
    Carey - wouldn't watch him if he was performing in my front yard

Terry Coywin and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Registered

Watching it through a couple more times, I see that Carey is ridiculing the idea of the Illuminati and child sexual abuse, with his addition of his tongue.in the sign. I won't watch him anymore, just as I won't watch Woody Allen, who is a proven sex offender, even though he used to be a favorite.

Maggie Rose and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ricky Gervais: the name sounds familiar but I don't know if I've ever seen him.
    Jim Carey: haven't heard of him in years.

Maggie Rose and Terry Coywin like this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Registered

Find the British series 'The Office', starring Rickey Gervais. It's marvelous with its essentially useless office workers and bosses. Failing that, just watch the video I posted. to get a feel for his iconoclastic style. There's an American version of The Office.but I haven't seen any of it. The original couldn't be bettered.

With Carey, I used to think movies like Dumb And Dumber funny. They're still funny, I suppose, but I won't watch them again for the reasons I gave in my next-to-last post.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Maggie Rose likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Okay, I have actually seen several episodes of The Office. Probably the American version. I liked it well enough. Carey I'm familiar with, but not recently.

7. Dwight Ward

Registered

It's interesting that Gervais is a homosexual who doesn't hesitate to call the Hollywood crowd 'perverts' for their pedophilia. Things like that make me question my own ambiguous attitude towards gay people. Maybe there is such a thing as healthy homosexuality.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Why do you say he's homosexual? He has been with Jane Fallon for years.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Registered

Like I said, I haven't seen the American version. I doubt it could be as good as the original. The British version is on Amazon Prime and I'm re-watching the first episode as we speak.

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

Oh my. Give me some time to find a stand-up of him talking about how wonderful anal sex feels.Maybe he's just 'bi'.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I hate to point out the obvious, but he's a comedian and was doing a stand-up routine...?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Maggie Rose likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Okay, Beth. After some brief research I failed to find the stand-up routine or anything else showing Gervais to be gay. He evidently supports gay rights, but is is somewhat transphobic, for which he's criticized much. I'm wrong again.

Speaking of me being wrong, could you not point it out so much? I don't do the same to you. ( It's irrelevant that I've never found you wrong about anything. ) Be nice to me. I'm old and forgetful.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey, we're all old here. (And I'm wrong plenty. I don't let facts keep me from telling a good story. :D)

Maggie Rose and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

A quote from Gervais:

"People like the idea of freedom of speech until they hear something they don't like," he tells THR. "So there's still a pressure, but that doesn't mean I'm going to water it down or back down and not say what I want. It's just another form of what we've been through many, many times -- it used to be called P.C. I think those things start off with very good intention and then they're mugged. It's a good thing to not be racist and sexist and homophobic. But it's not a good thing to not be allowed to make jokes about those things, because you can tell a joke about race without being racist. I'm happy to play by the rules. It's just that the 200 million people watching have different rules. That's the plight. When people say, 'He crossed the line,' I say, 'I didn't draw a line, you did.' It's relative. It's subjective."

"I didn't draw a line. You did." Brilliant.

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

You're one of the funniest people I've run into online.