Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Dee Roenz, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dee Roenz

Dee Roenz Veteran Member
    Registered

Memories.... Some Of My Fondest

..... I remember when i was only a youngster, playing hopscotch, and baseball and tag with boys & girls alike... those were the days! We were a family of 7 altogether, mom, dad, 3 brothers and 1 sister. We didnt have much money, but there was lots of love to go around. I remember when dad would have tis man come once a week, usually Saturday mornings, and put a HUGE block of ice in our fridge. i never forgot this, as it seemed so big! And, sitting on the kitchen floor, would be 2 large bags, one with powdered skim milk, does anyone remember that? and as well, one large bag with rolled oats. In those days, they weren't flavoured either! So, for breakfast, we get rolled oats, topped with powdered, LUMPY skim milk! And, we had this very old stove in kitchen, when the toaster wouldnt work, we'd just stick a knife into the bread and toast it over an element. But,it actually tasted good! Every morning dad would line all five of us kids up for a large teaspoon of cod liver oil...yuck! but yu know, it sure kept us from being sick. (and this wasnt sweetly flavoured either) I remember quite a bit from those days, some good memories and some bad, but for some strange reason, i cannot remember the childhood fiends i played with...isnt that strange. One girl does stand out, but that is only because while playing one day, when i was 12,i broke my finger. I remember as well going on the bus every saturday with dad down to this radio shop, where he'd pick up a part or two for another project. He was into fixing up old radios & tv's, as when he was in the air force, he was a mechanic and maintained the air planes and so on...i think he flew once or twice, but had a bad ear, so he opted to just stay on ground and do this job. I remember my sister and i had to sleep togewther, and it seemed the only contact we had was pulling each others' hair! I swear she has a bald spot to this day hahaha....I also remember a time especially when i was only about 5 years old, was playing and cut my knee on some glass, but this stands out because i remember my father carrying me on his shoulders all the way to the hospital,then back home in the middle of the night. but anyway, there a so many more warm childhood memories that come to mind, but im running out of space here. It has been fun reminiscing a bit, makes me feel close again to mom & dad, rest their souls. These memories are ours to treasure. Oh....another memory is of my dad getting me in the kitchen every sunday night, to try to teach me how to cook. The thing here is, whatever i tried to make and the results were always terible, my brothers had to eat! hahahah...they still kid me about this , but it is a fun memory. And before dad passed away, he'd come up to my house, to have dinner with hubby , my son and myself, and he once said "You finally learned how to cook" well, i am no chef, but hubby has survived 36 years now on my cooking so...What are some of your childhood memories?
    Dee

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Life sure seemed so good when we were small, guess because we didn't have much to worry about. I remember like you the big bags of food like rice, and everything else that came in 100 pounds of weight and you could reuse the bags. We often made dish cloth with the bags of rice we bought for our little grocery store where I grew up in Pearl City. Grandpa would like to teach me fishing and he'd take me to fish, got my finger stuck with the fishing hook...he tried to teach me how to grow vegetables...got my hand hammered when I helped him put the little boxes together for our little vegetable garden. Went everywhere with Grandma especially liked Sunday's when we went to church together, got a matinee show and saimin & bar b que sticks. Loved going on weekends with Mom to a movie that we'd gather the neighborhood kids to go with us. One night we came out of the movie and the 4 tires were stolen. The theater manager took us all home and apologized to all of us. Loved being with the family every Sunday brunch Grandma made for us. We children would play together and got to know each other till today we still bond. Memories...thanks Dee it's a sweet place childhood is!

3. Dee Roenz

Dee Roenz Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for sharing some of your childhood memories with us Krissttina

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I love these memories...I was born in 1950 so I grew up with Captain Kangaroo, Mickey Mouse Club (loved that), movies all day on Saturdays at the local theater. I had one older brother and my dad took us on long road trip vacations every summer. We didn't have a/c in the car..so sometimes when it was super hot we had a block of ice my mom chipped into cups.

I grew up in a much more innocent time...we could play outside til dark without worry. I love reading all your memories...more please :)

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:pIt was fun reminiscing too!