Christmas In Disneyworld

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Babs Hunt, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....

When my best friend and I were 19 years old and going through what at that time we both considered "the end of the world" in our personal lives...we decided on the spur of the moment to take a trip to DisneyWorld. Neither one of us had ever been there and once we made up our minds to do this....we wasted no time in getting there. We went home, packed, and within a few hours we were on our way to an experience that would change our lives and make the "worst of times" one of the "best of times" in our lives.

We drove from St. Martinville, Louisiana straight through to Kissimmee, Florida, found an inexpensive Motel there to stay in for a few days and after asking the Front Desk to give us a wake up call in time to get ready and be at DisneyWorld when the gates opened, we got some much needed sleep.

The next morning we were in the Ticket line when the gates opened and with our tickets in hand we walked into Fairytale Land and it was just what our battered hearts needed at that time. For a few precious days we lost ourselves in the magic of a place where dreams do come true and life is beautiful with a happy ever after ending.

I'm sure it's wonderful at DisneyWorld anytime of the year but at Christmas time the enchantment is really magical and dreams do come true. For when our days there were over with we headed back to Louisiana with hearts that were no longer battered...but filled with hope and faith for the next seasons of our lives.

th (90).jpg th (89).jpg th (87).jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Disneyland is truly an awesome place , @Babs Hunt ! In 1955, when I was 10, my Grandmother who lived in San Diego passed away, and my mom and dad drove down there to take care of necessary arrangements. While we were there, we went to Disneyland, which had not even been one very long at that time.
    We never went on vacations, so this was a very memorable trip in my life. When I got married and had children, we would promise them every year that we would take them to Disneyland. Finally, when Robin was about 21, she, her dad, and I all made the trip to California and took her to Disneyland. We stayed at campgrounds along the way and slept in tents, and it was a wonderful trip as well.
    I would love to go and see Disney World in Florida, and when I looked at it on the google maps, it looks like it is way bigger than the California Disneyland is.
    That is awesome that you got to go, and I love the Christmas pictures....... how magical it looks ! !

Babs Hunt and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been to both Disneylands but never on Christmas. I did go on my 60th birthday though.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never been there. In a way I'm glad because I pictured it so real while watching Walt Disney's show every Sunday night. And all the movies he made, the animated as well as such wonderful ones I remember most, like Savage Sam & Tonka. I really think these shows, and movies got me through a sometimes difficult childhood. I dreamed my life was like in those those shows.

It wasn't all a good thing though as I grew up thinking the "Fairy Tale" was real. Made life all the more disappointing. Maybe this should have gone in the "Good News, Bad News" thread, LOL!! I can still enjoy the genius of Walt Disney now though, and face reality;) So there's the good news. I just wouldn't want to work in Disneyland/World because cleaning up after those big mice running around, well, nevermind;)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith....I knew I would mess up here. It is Disney World in Florida we went too...not Disneyland in California. Thanks for the correction. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

There's something about the lights of Christmas @Babs Hunt, I love the lights. I bought a lot of the white fairy lights this year and spread them around my place. I want them all year round. Then I remember the Light of the world shines 24/7;)

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes our hearts need to have a touch of the "happy ever after' Fairytales....and at that time in my life and my best friend's life....we needed that touch. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, the lights were awesome and the fireworks display too Denise.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Before wife and I met, we'd been to Disneyland a few times. That was many years ago when the 360 degree theater was there showing different places in America.

This last June, for my birthday, we went to Disney Hollywood Studios Park in Orlando. There were Star Wars attractions and shows and we went to all of them. Should have rented either an electric or regular wheelchair, but decided to "walk" it. Big mistake! We were totally exhausted when we got back to our motel room. Ate a little something and were in bed by 9 PM. We were so tired that we couldn't even stay and watch the fireworks show. Even had a downpour of rain while we were there. We were inside a Star Wars attraction when it hit. We were going to the Animal Kingdom Park later this year, but decided not to. Just too costly with Park admission, parking, food and hotel.

But the Disney Hollywood Studios Park sure was cool! Loved it.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My brother and my sister-in-law both work at Disney World during the winter. They are not among the staff above ground, though. They have been working there for several years now, but I think they have worked only below ground, where there is something like a city. Lately, I know, my brother has been working at a large restaurant below ground. I'm not sure where his wife works at Disney World but I know they've mentioned that they rarely see each other while at work.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When we went to Orlando, Robin bought us tickets for Disney World. We were only able to go one evening after she got back to the hotel after work; but it was an awesome place, and I would love to go and just spend a few days looking at more of everything.
    We got the little bracelets that they scan, which is supposed to help you bypass standing in line for so long; but it turns out that you should sign up for places you want to go BEFORE you go to Disney, and then you only have to walk through the line with other people who have also signed up for that attraction.
    The tickets that she bought are good until December; so if she has another chance to go back down again, maybe I can go along and we can see more of the Animal Kingdom part of Disney.
    The part that I really loved was the World of Pandora, from the movie, Avatar.
    It was like actually being on Pandora, with all of the beautiful plants and the birds screeching or chirping in the trees in the background. As it started to get dark, the plants began to light up and start to glow, and the whole thing was just like actually walking through some fairyland.
    All of the shows were sold out for that day, so we could only walk around and look, but even that was so awesome.

Here are pictures of some of the flowers taken in daylight, and also how they looked after dark.

EC08DA5E-449D-4016-BF71-BCE91C8EAE84.jpeg

Chrissy Cross likes this.