Christmas Trek... Where We Have Gone Before!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Joe Riley, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Nine days from today, our Christmas Trek will begin once more.;) We are looking forward to it with new-found joy!:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, next week my wife has Thanksgiving, Black Friday and the weekend off. Perhaps some Black Friday shopping, but also heading down to the garage to get the inside and outside Christmas décor. Will be sitting up our Christmas Village on dining room table. Last weekend bought The Ranch building for it and have some miniature farm animals ordered online for around it. Haven't set up our Village in three or four years. Won't do a lot of outdoor lighting, but some.

It will be the last year for our 8' artificial tree and some of the décor for it, along with some outside lighting. When we move, won't have the same type of apartment (1-story "bungalow"), like we do now, so won't have the room outside for all of the lights we now have.

My wife REALLY looks forward to decorating for Christmas and I do to (just not as much as she does).

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't forget folks when you have it all set up, to take a picture or 10 to show us... I love seeing everyone's pics.. :D

Bill Boggs and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The weekend after Thanksgiving has been my wife's "Christmas Decorating Time" since before we got married. No Black Friday shopping for her. We had one son who got her spirit , as well as our two daughters, and they used to help. My job was always the photographer to document the process. We have an artificial tree now, but when the children were home, we had real trees, some of which were "Charlie Brown Specials". Our twin sons headed into the woods on their dogsleds to find the tree they wanted. The real trees were the last thing up and usually were only up for a week or two to avoid fire danger, but the rest of the house was decorated in one form or another, inside and out.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

5cc6340445bcc8b5e6021edcbcd61deb--christmas-past-vintage-christmas-trees.jpg
    Christmas trees bound for New York City, circa 1910-1915.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That all sounds like fun.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a kid we used to cut a tree in the back lot of my grandmother's farm.

Our Christmas tree stand was a galvanized bucket with rocks wedged around the base of the tree and a fine wire around the middle of the tree so we could anchor it to the wall.

I remember making paper chains to hang on the tree, long wood shaving curls, varnished whole walnuts and pinecones mixed in with a few German glass ornaments, a string of bubble lights topped off with a few silver icicles.

The tree skirt was an old bedsheet and our stockings were our socks. I remember negotiating with my oldest brother one Christmas to see if I could use one of his old hunting socks because it was so much bigger than mine.

Then along came the folks from Madison Avenue ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's probably just something wrong my end Bea...but I can't see your picture....

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It is a bubble light GIF.
    Si2EypC.gif

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The Baker Street Irregulars... (reference)

A group of London children carrying holly and mistletoe. 1915 .. (Just a picture I thought was cute.)

[​IMG]

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I definitely remember the Bubble Lights. Actually, back on that old hog farm, we buy a tree in town, put into a tree stand in living room and parents would decorate it while I was doing something else. Wasn't into decorating the tree back then, but, then again, my wife does most of the decorating of our tree. Anyway, if the tree was still alive after Christmas (on the farm), my dad would plant it by the driveway where some other past Christmas trees we had were. And, no decorating outside on the farm.

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A little late with this one.......

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered