Chronic Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, if you get diarrhea often, how do you control it?

Trying to figure out how we/wife-I can control the diarrhea we get way to often.

I started having more diarrhea, than usual, in late 2020. She stated sometime in 2022. We've mentioned this diarrhea problem to both of our PCP's, but with no real recommendations.

In all honesty, it really seems like when we go to a grocery store or eat in a restaurant, within a day or two, the diarrhea hits us. We want to blame some of the people that go to grocery stores and eating in a restaurant. There just seems to be a lot of folks that go places/do things when they are sick. Anyway, one of us gets it first, than the other.

We have Probiotics for digestion, but for awhile stop taking it. Guess we'll have to start again. We are also going to start taking a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe into a store with us to wipe down the handle of a grocery cart. Most grocery stores here to supply Wipes anymore.

I also read stress and anxiety can be a part of Chronic Diarrhea. We have both trying to get read for our move. But, Bottom Line is: We have to do something or try something!

2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know Cody, but your issue is not mine, mine has been the opposite all my life.

Sounds like your issue just came on in recent yrs, the "shots" do a lot of really
    strange "new" things to many.

Reading your story again, your issue is not new but has gotten worse it seems. A friend I had
    yrs ago had chronic diahreea and she was always eating bland foods and that included whtie rice and plain toast and I always heard non real ripe bananas help too. This friend as much as we had in
    common, she lived in high anxiety and fears, so that affects the body.

This friend and I have lost contact as she moved to PNW about 15 yrs ago, she is not happy but she's there...so I wonder how she has done with covid, my guess is she took the shots and plenty of them. Her choice if she did.

Watch the higher fiber foods you are eating.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am disappointed that your PCPs did nothing to look into the issue. It could be a food sensitivity, but that would only (usually) affect one of you. It could also be some kind of parasite you both picked up from a common site, most commonly Giardia spp. The serious issues such as IBS-D and Crohn's again would usually only affect one of you. It is possible you picked up something, then it got passed to your wife. Ask your PCP's to order a stool culture and a giardia screen (or Ova and Parasites test). If you have occult blood in your stool along with the diarrhea, that could be a clue as well.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In a way, I understand why your PCPs might not be all that concerned, since it only seems to hit when you go out shopping or eating. So while you might have repeated bouts, your condition is not really "chronic" because it sounds like your baseline systems are OK and it's not an everyday for weeks on end thing. It also sounds like it's not caused by medications.

I wonder if you tested things by going out for walks around your complex a couple of times and seeing if that amount of exercise causes issues. Then you could eliminate the "being around other humans" factor.

Probiotics are a good thing to take, but those mostly enhance your digestive and nutrient extraction processes. You might try prebiotics, which feed the bacteria in your lower digestive tract. I've used Jarrow's prebiotics for a while with no ill side effects. A daily dose=3 tablets, so you could start off with 1 tablet a day to make sure your system tolerates it well and the work your way up. I've read articles saying to start off easy with prebiotics if you are constipated (you don't want to grow a whole bunch of bacteria if they are not gonna move out of your system), but I've read no admonitions regarding prebiotics and diarrhea. The selection of prebiotics is very limited in stores, and the Jarrow stuff is way more economical.

There's a short NIH article that says prebiotics might help prevent the diarrhea while viscous soluble fiber may be valuable in treating it when you have it. From that second linked article: Viscous fibers include glucomannan, beta-glucans, pectins, guar gum and psyllium. Good whole-food sources include legumes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, oats and flax seeds. Metamucil is a fiber supplement that contains psyllium.

I've had bouts of this every once in a while, due to a combination of stress + irregular eating habits + greasy (high fat) foods. I only get it when I eat out, and not every time. My issue is that it hits me immediately, and I have to rush to get home. It's been a very long time since I've had an episode. I really think the prebiotics have helped, but there's no way to test. Going to the store and even a restaurant might be elevating your stress levels, plus the type of food you eat when going out is also a factor, but one would think it would hit you immediately as it has me. I have no opinion on the "2 days later" delay.

One other thing you might also try is this nasal spray for when you go out. I carry one for when flu bugs are on high alert. It was recommended as part of a COVID prevention kit...use it when you get in the car after being in public places to [theoretically] flush out viruses before they take hold. It is all natural ingredients. Then gargle with a mouthwash that contains cetylpyridinium chloride when you get home. Don't let that long name throw you off...when I went shopping for it at Walmart, and could not find a mouthwash that did not contain it. If you have mouthwash at home,you're likely covered.

I only give this advice since your PCPs seem to not be concerned, it's not a routine crisis, and these are things that I use in my daily regime for general health. As I said, unless you're constipated, there's nothing in the prebiotic to be concerned about, since it merely feeds your existing bacteria. The Metaucil and the nasal spray and the mouthwash are likewise benign. Follow the label directions on all of these.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I just remembered that when I brought up the diarrhea thing to my PCP/VA doctor, he did tell wife and I that he has IBS. But, he didn't tell us, and we forgot to ask him, how he controls it.

While in the hospital, the second time, they took a stool movement I had and tested it for bacteria and virus, but it came back negative.

In December 2021, we were in Las Vegas for 5 days, around a lot of people, but neither of us got diarrhea anytime. In July 2022, we spent part of a weekend in Colorado Springs and were around plenty of people and neither of us had diarrhea during the time we were there. This is why we think it has something to do with the people/grocery stores and restaurants here where we live.

The only place now that requires mask-wearing is the VA Clinic here. None of the hospitals, etc. require them anymore.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting you were out of town twice in 2 different cities/states eating out 100% of the time (especially Vegas buffets) and did not get sick. It's also interesting that you did not get sick even when your stress level was higher due to your routine being disrupted like that. And I gotta think that Vegas was chock full of people.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Colonoscopy? This is needed IMO

8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd look first at my diet if I had your issue Cody. If anyone is still eating the "Standard American Diet", I'd get at least a 2nd opinion, maybe 2 on whether or not that's truly a healthy way to eat.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Done a VA Stool Sample Mail-In one last November 2022 and my VA doctor sent me a letter stating my colon was fine.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I (with wife attending) had a meeting scheduled with a VA Nutritionist, but after meeting with my VA doctor a month ago, he, myself and my wife decided to cancel the meeting. The meeting was going to be about diet concerning Kidney Disease, but since my eGFR (kidneys function) number was 69 (which is a very good number), it was decided to cancel.

Actually, Denise, my VA doctor told me, during an appointment with me (and wife) that I could eat whatever I wanted to. Well, I have found some foods, like peanut butter, that I can no long eat. Peanut butter simply upsets my stomach now, but it didn't use to.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Haven’t you written that you are both Type II diabetics?

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I went out to eat last night and, so far, no diarrhea this AM (6/8). But, I did say "so far".

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, Bobby, we are both Diabetic II and take Metformin and Glipizide (me) for it. I've been taking Metformin since 2008.

IOW, like a lot of Diabetic II people, we don't want to change our diet that much in order to stop taking the meds.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I didn’t ask because I wondered about your meds Cody.
    It’s just that Type II diabetes and diarrhea are a common ailment among diabetics and especially for those who refuse to work with a positive diet to help compensate for the abnormality.

Small intestine bacteria is normal for normal people but for the diabetic it causes problems like..diarrhea.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Also, NHS has a list of side-effects of Metformin that might be some other things to watch for besides just Diarrhea. I take the side-effects seriously and make sure to read them, that's just me though, many don't bother: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/side-effects-of-metformin/