City Of Los Fresnos

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why did you leave, Ken. Economics?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I left California because Champion Paper, my employer, was shutting its bag plants down. I could have found work at another bag plant in the area, but the timing was such that my son had graduated from high school and was about to get married, so I decided that if I was going to have to make a change, I'd make a bigger one, and move to Texas. I paid the rent up on the townhouse we had been living in for six months before I left so that my son might have an easier time of it with his marriage. Keep in mind that, at $1,300/month, that wasn't so bad of a wedding gift.

3. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Well-Known Member
    Registered

The furthest south I got to in Texas was San Antonio and a brief gambling jaunt in Galveston. But I was in San Antonio on an errand to Randolph AFB. I had to stay for 3 days, so did some sight seeing. Now, this was 1955 shortly before I went to France. I, of course hit the Alamo. What a mess it was back then. Weeds all overgrown around the Mission. The outside was in ill repair, but the inside was loaded with history. Then a friend took me down by the river and we were walking along and I was stunned at the overgrowth there. I asked my friend, "do you realize what could be done with this place?" When I outlined my vision for it, he agreed. Henry Cisneros came along and had the same vision I guess since he put the wheels in motion. In retrospect, I should have marched over to our Randolph HQ and resigned my commission then and there. I could have begun lobbying the powers that be to first get the Alamo straightened out and next gone after that River Walk, when I see what it is today... Just like me passing up the opportunity when I was in Europe to purchase some of The Algarve land for a song and declined. Oh well, in my next life. lol.

Ken Anderson and Bill Boggs like this.