Class: Who Has It & Who Does Not? Style - Not Background

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If I feel that there is a logical argument/disagreement...…….why not? I'm not the type to simply agree with everything. So there! :D

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There were definitely some beautiful dresses, like JLo's and we always enjoy seeing Helen Mirren. And, the outfit that Melissa McCarthy wore, as a Presenter, with the rabbit on her left hand, was absolutely hysterical to us. But, then again, both of us have a great "sense of humor"!

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh quote '' She was dressed to the "T" in real perils, diamonds, stiletto high heels, etc You mean like a Brothel worker or a high end prostitute ?

.. Now, tomorrow night (Sunday night) on the Red Carpet of the Oscars and during the Oscars, people will definitely see "classy" people "in all of their glory". Won't they?

Don't you kid yourself, money doesn't buy class, there's as many underclass people in showbiz than there is outside showbiz... being overpaid for doing very little doesn't give you class, ..

....being classy is not about how you look, or if you live in a big house or a small one..owning a new boat or an old car....it's all about the way you treat people... That my friend is the simple and truthful definition of Class ..( and if anyone should know about what's classy and what isn't we British are the experts at it)...

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Hate to disagree with you, Holly, but money does buy class. Classy vehicles, homes, brand new yachts, jewelry, expensive high end clothes and on and on. Not saying people who don't have money like that aren't "classy", but many folks don't look at them in the same way as they would people who own the above mentioned things.

Another thing, Holly, where did the statement, "She is so classy looking" come from? Women here who are in Executive positions with companies, may wear diamonds and stiletto high heels. And, they aren't high end prostitutes or Call Girls in Las Vegas. Heck, I've even seen wedding sets that had so many diamonds in them or just one huge diamond...…..I'd call that a "classy" person, and possibly very rich.

The way a person acts can definitely be called "classy", but I've pretty much looked at the word as what people wear and own.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, you are "classy"! Just look in the mirror and at your personality. Wife and I have some "class", but not like some other folks. The way I talk or see some things on here, many on this forum would say that I have very little-to-no class at all and they are probably right.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Money can't buy "class". It can buy you things that people might consider "classy" but having classy possessions don't make you any classier than wearing a mink coat makes you a mink.

You either have class or you don't. You can't buy it, you can't inherit it and you can't have it given to you. You can, however, learn it. But it has to come from the soul.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here you go, @Cody Fousnaugh , pretty much fits all of your definitive descriptions of what you call “Class”.

D5F48D70-33D5-47AA-AA88-3744823D768B.jpeg

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Still wonder where the statement, "Look at that classy chic!" came from. As already stated, it appears it means...…... what the woman is wearing aka how they look. The lady doesn't have to say a word to get the comment/compliment, just how she presents herself.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

So some random guy started off one time (like you)...thinking just because a certain woman he saw had class because she was wearing something or driving some car that perhaps he couldn't afford... and he thought she had class... , and that saying stuck whenever a younger guy sees someone with something more than they have..

I just told you having or owning something doesn't give you class... but I think you're being deliberately obtuse... so there's no point in continuing with this..

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, we simply have a difference in opinion. Nothing to get huffy about, but if that's the way you see my opinion, that's up to you.

Years ago, way before meeting my wife, I was going to ask this lady out that I had talked to many times at a country-western nightclub. Just by looking at her, I knew she was WAY "out of my league" for dating. But, decided to ask. Before I even got the question out of my mouth, she looked at me and said "don't bother, you can't afford me". Actually, she was right and we just stayed friends.

And, btw, just what does the word "obtuse" mean?? I remember hearing that word in the movie, The Shawshank Redemption. I don't think I'm "obtuse", just because I don't agree with your opinion.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Don't be silly Cody, I'm not in the least huffy.... if you want to think someone dressed in high heels and wearing jewellery is the definition of class ..that's your prerogative,. You don't want to know you're wrong, that's also your prerogative, doesn't affect me in any way at all...

'Obtuse':.... google is your best friend!! ...

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, from what I've learned, and seen in my life, I'm not wrong. Yes, if someone does something nice for someone, that can be/is called "a class act". There use to be a tv show called Dynasty, back in the 80's I believe. Starring John Forsyth and Linda Evans about a very rich and, what some would definitely call "Classy family". Look up the tv show Dynasty, from the 80's and see what you think.

One thing for sure, our definition of "classy" sure is different from yours and some others on this forum. My wife completely agrees with my definition, as to looks and what people own. And, if she didn't agree with me, she would tell me...……...really.

How would you feel if someone said to your and your husband, "You sure have a classy looking boat." Would you agree and say "thanks" or disagree?

The word "classy" can be added to any description of something...…..a man's tie, shoes, ladies blouse/dress, a lot of different things.