Close Call Yesterday

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Tex Dennis, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I went yesterday to get dog food and took my German Shepherd Mica she goes most places with me the store is very pet friendly walking back to my truck a man and woman started walking to us very shabby looking, I did not have a good feeling about it really they started talking to me and getting closer wanting money as they said they were out of gas, they just kept getting closer, finally I yelled stop & back up and it surprised them and the next step after demanding I "LOAN" them gas money I told them to back up again and although it has been awhile since Mica's retirement military (K9) I gave her the command "Drohung" threat in German she almost pulled my arm off wanting to lunge at them and barking, snapping also, she would have actually got them if I had allowed, they had a few choice words for us and backed up, I said I cant hold her much longer and took steps toward them, then they understood then real plainly and starting walking away. About then a police car drove up as someone had called them for me they both had meth on them he said. I was so proud of her again like old times, a witness said they thought she was going to pull me down trying to get to them, this time she would have really got them as the level of aggression she displayed at them , she still has it her, all during the interview just sat at my side looking at them in the officer's car handcuffed. All turned out very well and she got a treat from the officer, so proud of her as always. The witness videoed all of it for me. A very nice retired lady I did not know but do now.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Good thing you're ok tex..and Mica of course and the couple didn't pull a weapon on you.. .. good girl Mica ... you see the training is totally ingrained.

Very glad you're both safe and Mica earned her supper last night bless her...

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Dog Mica!!

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tex Dennis
    Good story! Enjoyed it. I assume you were not armed, then, other than having Mica along? K9 dogs have been shot by assailants numerous times, unfortunately. Had it happened, well.......

I feel had I been accompanied by Mica, I would have felt even more comfortable with a "dog-backup" in my waistband. Frank

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Tex Dennis

Registered

Frank I am always armed in public where legal to do so. Glock model 32 357 SIG cal. Some years back about 7 or so she was in pursuit of a suspect ran through a barbed wire fence got him but was cut from wire 43 stiches, 4 operations, retired and discharged I was able to adopt her as handler, my life went on hold as I took leave and sat 24-7 for 33 days with her in recovery, honestly 33 days every day, once people heard what I was doing they ran my errands and did shopping for me, 33 days! The bonding we formed is unreal. I do something with her every day, today she went with me to a pistol match.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tex Dennis
    A wonderfully warm addition to the story! I appreciate it, and believe everyone else does also.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Tex Dennis

Registered

We are headed to bed like NOW I am out of fuel body wise for today, will check on her and give her the nightly hug and scratching, tomorrow we are going to my doctors (best friend) for late lunch/supper, since the accident I have been a semi care taker/helper have been almost 3 yrs. Almost to tired to get up! But just DO IT!
    All have a great Sunday and make someone wonder what you have been doing to get that smirk on your face!

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

YAY Mica !

9. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

I am surprised they approached you with Mica at your side..

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tex Dennis . wow good for you both... now that is a Pit turned to a Peak :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I have been encountered before, but not nearly as forceful as you had it. But, when it comes to folks on drugs, they can be pretty aggressive when they need money, because they spent the money they had on drugs. Way too many folks today are on meth.

When it's happened to us, it's been during the day and the person is walking around the gas station asking everyone they can for money. I simply say "sorry, can't help you", get in our vehicle as quickly as possible and drive away.

Wife and I don't carry and never will. Carrying can be darn good protection, but can cause problems as well. Would rather live in an area where it's not necessary to carry.

Holly Saunders and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Tex Dennis

Registered

As an ex LE officer with family I encountered a person arrested not long before that resisted and was out on bond I was so glad I was plus policy per rules, I have seen others since then we had arrested but no issues, with today's climate and legally allowed to I do it daily plus the attack on dad I saved his life being prepared I was just cut he just lost an eye rather than his life. 3 total times now in civilian life my Mica has prevented a possible attack just being with me. So a society where not needed to me does not exist anywhere as I learned it can happen anywhere any time.

13. Tex Dennis

Registered

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, they can happen "anywhere at any time", but they do happen much more often in some areas than in others. Not every city/town in America has the same crime stats.

When I was an EMT, in the mid 70's, and part of my areas I covered were Los Angeles, Orange County beach cities, Compton, Watts and South Central, I could tell, without a doubt, the low crime areas from the high crime areas. Friday and Saturday nights, working the L.A. area, were much more active than working the beach areas of Orange County.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  15. Tex Dennis

Registered

Exact same as the Dallas areas I worked we had "NO mans land as we called it, you never saw a rookie or 1 man squad there ever and still do not. Just a once very nice now infested bad place to be, you had to have someone stay with your car if not insight or possibly pay the price, no new businesses nothing new opens there
    just a rat hole area known if you have the cash you can buy about anything you would ever wish there. Most of all the new businesses we saw open are boarded up and closed, just like so many other places so many similar things in most of them.