Close Friends Caught In Old Man Winter

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we lived in Colorado, south of Denver, the first snowfall we had, after we moved there, was during Halloween Week. Some 6 inches came down and covered parts of outside Halloween décor. Even though wife and I grew up in a snow area (southeast Michigan/her and northeastern Indiana/me, we had never seen snow during Halloween.

The last snow, but only happened a couple of times when we lived there, was on Mother's Day Weekend. That was about 6 inches worth.

One thing to remember, the I-25 corridor is located near the area going into the Rocky Mountains.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ..I have a serious question for you.. not trying to be funny.. or cause a riff,..
    What happens, if things take a dump on you and this turns out not to be your dreamland place of residence ?
    Do you have a plan B, if being there is not what it was before ? This thought just occurred to me this morning.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, I've been thinking this all along tbh.....

Mary Robi and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, as long as there are rodeos there, freshwater lakes, the Rockies to go into to see elk, much less population and crime (than here), Country-Western nightclubs (went to two of them), farm/crops all along the I-25 by the area...….we should be fine. Since we've been in Florida, we haven't seen a single deer (white-tail or mule), obviously no elk, no rodeo action at all near us, BUT...….lots of crime, high population and tons of traffic. We've worn our Western attire only twice in ten years we've been here (hats, boots, etc.). To us, the people are nicer.

We were just there this past July and very little, if anything, will change within a year. Actually, we been told, both by people we talked to there and online...……"What the heck are you doing in Florida? Come on back here where you belong". Yep, that's what we were told.

Over half of our Christmas gifts this year are things we bought that are Colorado related, as in wildlife pictures on glasses, coffee mugs, beer glasses, etc. Bought a large area rug and smaller one with White-Tail Buck on them. Throw blankets with an elk on one and flying bald eagle on another. Cutting boards with wildlife on them. When we decorate our apartment there, nobody will even know that we lived in Florida for 10 years! 99% of our Florida décor will be either be sold or given to the Goodwill.

Basically, nobody on this forum really knows what we miss about Colorado, that definitely isn't here in Florida OR, what it's like to live here. We just don't make good Florida people or Southerners. Not the lifestyle we like anymore.

Now, IF by chance (and that's a mighty big "if", things don't turn out quite right, it's like my wife just told me "we will move again". But, as far as we are concerned, that "if" isn't going to happen. Could, but.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh, When you talk about your move I always think about this little Disney cartoon from 1956.

I hope that you and Mrs. Fousnaugh find what you are looking for in Colorado.

Good luck!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm curious Cody. We all know how much this move means to you so I'd like to ask about the move itself.

The boat.
    Will you tow it yourself or have it transported?

If self tow, have you any idea of how much you'll have to spend in gas? It's a long way; will tires, etc. be ok? What about insurance?

If professional transport, have you gotten prices on the cost?

Where will you store your boat and how much will it cost?

Your furniture and personal belongings
    Do you have a price for a professional moving co.?

Will you rent a truck, pack and load yourself, then drive while towing your vehicle while the boat is being transported? Have you an idea of costs?

Do you have a place to live,

Or will you be finding one later?

Or, will you arrive with your boat and stuff and stay in a motel while you find a place? How much will that cost?

You may have to come up with 3 month rent in advance; first, last and security deposit.

If I were you, I would stop buying stuff for an apartment I don't have yet. I know housewares with wildlife pictures on them helps make the dream feel certain. But each thing, even if low cost, has to be packed and hauled.

There's probably lots more you need to consider or already have, but one last thing...hopefully your landlord will be responsible for removing snow on your parking area and walks..

So, what's the actual plan?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Beatrice, it's not what we are looking for, it's what we miss. Remember, we lived there for 5 1/2 years and done all kind of cool things that we love to do...……..and can't do here.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We do plan on keeping our boat and will pay someone to transport it there. Before we hire someone, we will have already paid for an outside spot at a Boat/RV Storage. All the person will have to do is tow it and drop in the spot we rent.

We will hire a moving company to move all of our furniture and some clothes. We will pack up our computer and a few other things and take with us in our Durango. Will find a Self-Storage and rent a 10 x 10 spot, before calling the moving company for the pick-up.

When we visited there this last July, we found a nice apartment complex and talked to the manager about our move next year. She gave us all the info, including what the apartments look like and an application to rent. If we can arrange it, and an apartment is available, we will pay the deposits, rent and have the electricity turned on. If an apartment isn't available, we will get a room at a nice weekly motel. When we moved from So California to Colorado, we had no home to go to and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for a week while we looked for an apartment. Done the same thing when we moved from Colorado to North Carolina. Before actually moving here, we had visited for a few days and looked for an apartment. Found one, filled out all paperwork and went back to North Carolina. When we got back, got a call that everything had been approved, so got ahold of a moving company. Same day moving company got our stuff, we turned in the keys for the North Carolina apartment and headed for here. Spent a weekend at a motel here and moved in the following Monday. Got the key and paid for everything then.

Each place we've moved to, except here, we've stayed at a descent motel and looked for an apartment. Haven't had a problem finding an apartment or moving in.

Just to let you know……..we bought this stuff now because my wife still has her job. If we wait until we get there, will have to spend money out of our savings. Better to get some things now, while income is still fairly good.

IOW, this isn't the first time we've done a move like this. We do have our own business of photography and even a credit card with the name of the business on it.

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like you've got it all thought out! Good for you guys!

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

You have your own photography business do you @Cody Fousnaugh , I don't recall you mentioning it before. Can I look at your website?

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No website, Holly. Couldn't afford that. Actually, we bought a city license, thinking we do some business, but that never happened. We let the license expire and never renewed it, but, while we had the license, we were able to obtain a credit card from a major store to buy photography things like photo paper, ink and whatever. Still have the credit card with the name of the business on it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, have it all "thought out", but doing that "action" part is what is next...…..we hope. Currently we are spending out a nice little "chunk of change" getting our old Dodge Ram 1500 fixed. Our main transportation is our Dodge Durango, but when the Durango has to go into the shop for something, we have the Dodge Ram to depend on. Last month, it needed a complete brake job, with rotors, pads, calipers, shoes and then a new master cylinder. Last weekend we had to have four new tires put on and now it appears we need a new battery and possibly a new starter. Plan on selling it, before we leave, so have to have it in descent running condition.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's a pity, you could have made extra money with a photographic website..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not really. My photos weren't THAT good. We thought they were good, even excellent, but to the public? People who have a photo business have spent literally hundreds to thousands of dollars on professional equipment...…….not the kind of digital you or I would own/use. And, those pros definitely know how to edit photos to really, really make them look good. I'm good at editing, but not THAT good.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes I know what you mean. I have a very good friend who is a well known actor here in the uk... but his passion and hobby is photography, and he has a wonderful website...

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.