Coffee Time With Ken Anderson

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For a while, I did a weekly show for our local public access channel called Coffee Time with Ken Anderson, in which I interviewed local people at our coffee shop. I think we have them all here somewhere, but in another format, but these three have been saved. I don't have one in which I spilled my coffee on our congressman, however. By the way, I build all of the computer desks that you see in the background.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice to see and hear you in the flesh, so to speak Ken... :D sounds like you had an interesting time with your interviews...do you still do them? Who was your favourite interviewee..?

3. Ken Anderson

No, that was just for one year. As for favorite, I don't know. Ken Christian was probably the easiest, since we were friends.

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love your accents....had me totally engrossed in listening to you all talk

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm impressed, Ken! Just saw these but cant watch them now because Im on my ipad and others are watching TV
    And dont want to disturb them.

Will watch when I usually watch TV to fall asleep. If I dont fall asleep, they were interesting.

I'll let you know in the morning.:)

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I finally got around to being able to watch these, Ken. You did a good job! What year were these done? Also, was it an Internet cafe? Asking because of all the computers.

7. Ken Anderson

Yes, it was an Internet cafe, and it was 2007 I think, maybe early 2008.

Linda Binning and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Very nice, Ken. Thanks for posting.

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I just found these Ken. Cool beans! When I'm off work, I'll watch them (on my miserable little tablet)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson , I was able to watch the second and third, but I got an error on the first one. Very interesting, were your prodcast on the local radios as well? I will listen before I'll watch, and I would think the people in small towns would be doing that as they went about their daily efforts.

11. Ken Anderson

Yes, they were produced for our public access channel. There were several more, and I'll probably come across some of the others in time.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Very interesting and fun to see you as an interviewer…good job! I noticed a picture hanging on the wall of a humble man offering a prayer of gratitude over a meal of bread and small bowl of soup. I was floored to see it because I have the same picture hanging as we speak about about 7 feet away from me. What makes it even more meaningful to me is that my late husband picked it out and purchased it himself in a Christian Bookstore. He had very few possessions, never shopped for himself. He was a good man. The picture always reminds me of him and Him and to be thankful for whatever I have.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

It's an interesting picture because you can read into it whatever you want. He might be a devout man praying over his meal, with a Bible beside him. That was my assumption. Then again, the book is a bit thick for a Bible, so it could be anything else. He might have a headache, or even be contemplating suicide.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I just happened across the story behind this:

The Story of Grace
    Back in the war year of 1918, a bearded, saintly old man with footscrapers to sell called on Eric Enstrom at his photography studio in the tiny mining town of Bovey, Minnesota.

Out of this chance encounter came a world-famous photographic study. Today Enstrom's picture, "Grace," showing the elderly peddler with head bowed in a mealtime prayer of thanksgiving, is known and loved throughout the world.

There was something about the old gentleman's face that immediately impressed Enstrom on that 1918 day when Charles Wilden visited his studio. "I saw that he had a kind face ... there weren't any harsh lines in it."

It happened, at the time, that Enstrom was preparing a portfolio of pictures to take with him to a convention of the Minnesota Photographers Association.

"I wanted to take a picture that would show people that even though they had to do without many things because of the war they still had much to be thankful for."

On a small table Enstrom placed his large family Bible, and on it laid a pair of spectacles. Beside the Bible he placed a bowl of gruel, a loaf of bread, and a knife. Then he asked Wilden to place his folded hands to his brow in prayer before partaking of a meager meal.

Enstrom immediately noticed that Wilden struck the pose very easily and naturally. To bow his head in prayer seemed to be characteristic of the elderly visitor.

As soon as the negative was developed, Enstrom was sure he had something special. . . a picture that seemed to say, "This man doesn't have much of earthly goods, but he has more than most people because he has a thankful heart."

The picture caused little stir at the 1918 photography convention. A few years later, however, Enstrom took it to convention again. This time it was hung in exhibit and received warm critical acclaim.

Most sales in the early 1920's were to traveling people who came through Bovey and saw the picture in the window of Enstrom's photo studio. As soon as one print was sold, he'd make another to take its place.

The early "Grace" pictures were printed in black and white or in brown tint. Later Enstrom's daughter, Mrs. Rhoda Nyberg, also of Bovey, began hand-painting them in oils, and interest in the picture soared.

A moving testimonial came from a businessman in nearby Grand Rapids, Minn., who wrote about the picture in a newspaper column. He concluded the column with a simple, eloquent prayer to accompany the picture:

"Lord, there may be many homes that are larger than mine. There may be tables groaning with food and drink in abundance. There may be riches in supplies and appointments. There may be conveniences on every hand and there may be physical assurance that tomorrow will bring still more. But, Lord, you have been with me unto this day and supplied my necessary requirements. On that assurance I rest by belief that you will bless my efforts, if I apply them to the best of my ability to carry on. I am content. Amen."

Other words of appreciation for the picture — for its deep expression of reverence, humility and gratitude — have come from near and far.

When demand for the picture outran Enstrom's ability to supply photographic prints, he sold the publishing rights to Augsburg Publishing House (now known as Augsburg Fortress). Printed in full, natural color, "Grace" is a cherished favorite in countless homes, churches, and restaurants everywhere.
    0806613408h-1.jpg

15. Ken Anderson

@Lara Moss, thank you for that. It was very interesting.

Lara Moss likes this.