Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't tried Community Coffee but will order some K Cups to try it. I currently use Folgers and Peets K Cups for my morning coffee. Mornings are the only times I drink coffee.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I try different types of coffees (whole beans.) I drink a lot (all day if I'm inside the house), and have been looking to go higher quality/lower quantity.

My daily coffee is a blend of 8 O'Clock and Hill Brothers. I used to mix it up with Dunkin Donuts, but it's just not worth the up-charge.

These are the ones I have tried that are weak, and no amount of extra coffee can make it strong and good:
    -Copper Moon Sumatra Dark Roast ($6.19 per lb.)
    -White Monkey Medium Roast ($6.99 per lb. buying a 5# bag)
    -Jose's Mayan Arabic ($7.18 per lb.)

These are the ones that are OK, but not great:
    -Papa Nicholas Hawaiian Blend ($7.31 per lb.)
    -Dunkin Donuts ($7.54 per lb.)
    -Cameron's Coffee ($4.79 per lb.)

These are my favorites so far:
    -Don Pablo Colombian Supremo (will buy again @ $7.10 per lb.)
    -Seattle's Best Portside Blend (just got today, on my first pot, seems OK @ $7.97 per lb.)

I gotta say that at $4.39 per lb for 8 O'Clock Original and $5.74 per lb. for Hills Bros, I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that's worth the extra money. Blending these two together makes the most flavorful cup out of everything I've tried.

That being said, I do like most restaurant coffee better than anything I've made at home. I suspect that's due more to water temp than anything else. When we've had power outages and I've made coffee by boiling water on the gas stove and pouring it over the grounds manually, I notice that the flavor amps up quite a bit. But I'm too lazy to do that as a matter of routine.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Now that I've used up about half the bag, I am starting to like it a little better than I did on the first try.

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on a Folger's K Cup Variety Pack kick and they are all pretty good.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I drink so much coffee, I can't imagine what K Cups would cost to support my habit. It would be like buying one french fry at a time ;)

But I do like the idea that you can make just one cup of anything you feel like in the moment. I've worked in offices that have had the Flavia machines and like the product they put out.

6. Ken Anderson

Amazon doesn’t have the 12-oz bags of the Black Rifle Silencer Smooth brand, which is my favorite. They have it in a 5-lb bag but they’re asking $99.95 for it, and I don’t like it enough to buy that much of it, at that price. They are asking $33.42 for a 12-oz bag of the Black Rifle Thin Blue Line coffee, which is far more than I paid for it before, I think, because I would have balked at that price.

7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Go to the Black Rifle web site, Ken and see what they are asking.

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Ken Anderson

I try to limit my online purchases to as few companies as possible, largely Amazon, not because I'm enamored with Amazon but because they carry nearly everything I need to buy. With one company after another being hacked, I don't like to have my information in too many databases. Amazon has the Silencer Smooth brand in the 12-oz bags again, and for $16.99 rather than the ridiculous price they wanted for another of their coffees, so I ordered another bag.

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

2020-08-24 17.31.30.jpg
    I decided to join the Black Rifle's subscription program since it's cheaper than buying the same stuff through Amazon. Since I don't like drinking the same coffee, bag after bag, I chose the option where they send me two random bags every three months, and I can buy some from other roasters in between. For signing up with the subscription program, I got a bag of their Cold Brew Filter Pouches for free, but since I'm not very fond of cold coffee and my wife is, I'll probably let her have that. The other two included the Freedom Fuel roast, which I have had before and liked, and the Espresso, which I undoubtedly won't like by itself, but I might mix a little of it with other varieties of coffee. From now on, I can go into my account and make substitutions.

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I drink 2 cups of coffee per week; after Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

My wife makes it for me: Folgers Mountain Grown, with cream and sugar added.

Hal

12. Ken Anderson

I drink about two pots of coffee a day, although I often go days without any.

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Two POTS per DAY?

I would be a jittering quacksadrone if I had one pot per week!

h.p.

14. Ken Anderson

It doesn't have that effect on me. I often have my last cup of coffee before going to bed.

15. Ken Anderson

My second subscription order from Black Rifle Coffee came today. I've had Silencer Smooth before but the Murdered Out is new to me. It's a dark blend, which is not generally my first choice, but my coffeemaker has options for a classic brew and a dark brew, so if I brew it on classic, it should be okay. Otherwise, I'll just use fewer coffee grounds than I ordinarily would. I just brewed the first pot and it is stronger than I like, so I'll use less coffee next time.
    2020-09-21 17.02.08.jpg 2020-09-21 17.02.02.jpg