College Days

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm using generic heading for this thread so that others could use it to post things about their college days if they wanted to. Or create a thread of your own, if you wish.

I attended Pacific Christian College in Fullerton, California. One of my instructors was Dr. Mont Smith, who taught a course on Covenant. He has written a couple of books on the subject and is well respected in that field.

Rather than showing up for class, several students would leave a tape recorder at their desk, either setting it there before class began or asking another student to do so. I thought it was awfully rude but it was allowed, although teachers weren't entirely supportive of the idea. Sometimes half the class would be represented by tape recorders.

Dr. Smith would randomly shut the recorders off as he walked down the aisles sometimes, or place them inside of boxes. Or he might give an unannounced quiz that counted for a portion of the grade, and of course tape recorders didn't do well on quizzes. Another day, he picked up one tape recorder after another and sang into it.

I was thinking about that today, so I thought I'd bring it up.

2. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

LoL. He'd probably taken personal voice projection training so he could do recordings of his letures to his absentee students. Or pre-recorded his lectures and handed out those tapes and called it a day. :-D

Did you have good attendance?

3. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if some of those students became pastors, lecturers, homiletics instructors...?

4. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I just spent 10 minutes going through all my college memories. I went to Murray State University in Murray, Ky. And absolutely nothing of note happened the entire time I was there.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a normal student in college, that means I never skipped classes and did my homework and submitted projects. That dream of landing a good job was always in my mind. And I was fortunate to have college friends who were also serious in their studies. But we sometimes go to movies to de-stress and some trips to resorts although seldom. A week before exams, I would wake up at 3 am to study. With the quiet atmosphere, my mind is very active and like a sponge that it absorbs what I read. That was my instrument in getting good grades.

Our family's finances was not that good when I was in college so I had to scrimp for my school projects. And when I graduated, I was really relieved that I could finally get a job and have my own money.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

While I was in college I was a very serious student spent most of my time studying so that I could get out of school and get to work.

Jennifer Graves likes this.
  7. Jennifer Graves

Registered

In the beginning I took it very seriously. All my homework, including reading assignments were done and turned in. But after a while I lost interest in all of it and my grades reflected that.

8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to a grammar school in the UK. I'm not sure if there was an equivalent in the US. Grammar schools are virtually all gone here now, after the introduction of comprehensive schools. A few became independent and charged fees. My school did not charge fees for "day pupils" (as I was), but there were boarders who had to pay fees, or at least their parents did.

It was a strange set-up, as the curriculum and discipline were very much that of the public schools, with Latin and Greek being taught. Teachers were called "masters" and had to be addressed as "sir". You could still be caned for misbehaviour, though I managed to avoid that, thankfully. It was an all-boys school, though we had the occasional female teacher (or "mistress" more correctly). Masters and mistresses wore long black gowns and mortar boards. Another quirk - an annoying one - was that we had to attend school on Saturdays.

Quite what impact any of this had on me, I can't really say. I suppose knowing a bit of Latin came in handy when I studied linguistics. There was one thing I appreciated when I started working - having Saturday off!

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are still some grammar schools in operation in the United States, but most schools are part of a K-12 school district that often includes several towns when in a rural area, but larger cities may have multiple school districts. Although they may have meant something else once, I believe the grammar schools here are the same thing as elementary schools, only some have retained the traditional name.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I loved college! I didn't start until I was 35, and then I continued to go until I was 54. I even went through the summers. The hardest course I took was a comprehensive course into computers back in 1985. I was so afraid of computers and the course that I studied everything the teacher mentioned, along with trying to memorizing the course textbook. I ended up with a grade of 140/100. I had to have my instructor to explain how that could happen. I was told that most students did so poorly in the course that a lot of extra credit work was available to allow each student to bring their grade up some. As it turned out, I did so well on my normal and extra credit course work that I acquired 140 grade points over the normal grade of 100. I never took another course on computers, as many of you can now see. Oooops!

11. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow Ina! What a satisfaction for you after fearing those computers that used to bite... or at least this how people wanting to learn about computers were portrayed then, do you remember?
    [​IMG]

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Carlota Clemens, too bad computers work nothing like they did in 1985. Maybe I'll take an up to date comprehensive computer course next year as well as some Art courses. But I really do wish it was as easy as this cartoon indicates. image.jpg

13. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I've always thought grammar and elementary schools were the same thing. My kids, my husband, or any immediate family all went to elementary schools,

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been a normal college student and a conservative one so I don't have much to share on this. But may I share my sister's college days when she fell in love and eloped. My parents were so angry but my sister was adamant. She lived with her boyfriend and bore a son. After 1 year of hardship, because her boyfriend had no job, my sister came back home with her baby boy. And she re-entered college to continue the nursing course. She finished college and even took and finished a masteral. Now she is chief nurse in a big hospital.

15. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I think thats a wonderful story! Its sad that it didn't work out with her husband, but she overcame a bad situation. Thats admirable.