Convenience Fees

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by William DeFox, Dec 9, 2018.

1. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Beware of the "convenience" fee! When ordering a restaurant meal for pick-up through the Internet last night, I thought the sandwich a bit pricey upon pick-up, later examining the printed receipt to find that they had added $1.25 to the tab as a "convenience fee." This is, of course, on top of expected sales tax! Within the past year I have also ordered event tickets on line to avoid waiting on site, again to find that they had added $2 to the ticket price as a "convenience fee."

Convenient to the seller, as it adds to their profit margin, but not to the consumer! Not all businesses do this for on-line transactions, but some do, and they seldom advertise up front that such a fee is added for on-line transactions. If the slight convenience gained is worth it to you, fine, but be advised of the possibility, and in all things, let the consumer beware of unexpected fees prior to purchase...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree that they should tell you but if the fee is small enough I don't think I'd mind paying a little for "convenience".