Cooled Workshop

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Dilapidated old swamp cooler used for my shop went around the bend last season. My wife exuberantly proclaimed she would pour a concrete slab to support a new cooler.......how could I turn down such an offer? We had, after all, mixed and poured about 1500 square feet of patio slab and sidewalk, but that was before we were both decrepit. This morning we shot the line, and went for broke!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slab is 4 feet square, weighing about 1,000 lbs., 1/3 of a cubic yard, mixed in the old Sears electric mixer we have used for 40 years now! Original drive motor, I had to re-bush the countershaft which was worn out, but exemplary performance for a small machine! The house we built outside Phoenix was entirely brick veneer; the foundation and slab, plus all the mortar, was mixed with this old machine, about 90,000 lbs. altogether!

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica do you have to do anything other than cover the slab to prevent the concrete from drying out before curing?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, Frank, that is impressive. The last concrete I did was two years ago and all wheelbarrow mixed. It was a 3' X 6'-foot slab 4" thick between my patio and crawlspace opening. That was all my shoulders could take and then the getting down and troweling wasn't as much fun as it was when I was 30.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Good job, Frank and Mrs. S!

Frank Sanoica and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska

In our climate, with 10% relative humidity, sometimes less, drying out of EVERYTHING is a fact of life. It is recommended in the case of concrete to sprinkle it with water after it's surface is fixed, usually ~ 10 hours. Afterward, the concrete will continue to cure if additional wetting is carried out, I do it for a week or so. The curing is exponential, continuing forever. For our application, the weight of the cooler is the main concern; in case of leaking, sinking into the soil is prevented by having a slab beneath it. Extra work, extra peace of mind.\

Frank

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Dang, Frank, did anybody ever suggest you slow down one of these days?

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bill Boggs

I have. I have. A helluva lot, actually. But as my wife has said often lately, during the past 6 months or so, "keep pushing" and you will improve. Well, the arthritic neck pain and shoulders have worsened, but I can work, carefully, a few hours now, without feeling after-effects, so I guess I'm better. still take no pain killers regularly, maybe one or two acetaminophen tablets a week.

Frank