Coping With Suburban Crimes

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Not that I am looking forward to it, but it will be interesting when my father passes. He has always been a collector,he did quite a bit of gunsmithing work, always loaded his own shells,(whole nuther story about boys and cans of gunpowder),
    He bought sold and traded for 40 years. I know he sold most of his guns, but I bet there is still something left to play with.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Legally, we are not required to register our guns in Maine. However, a background check is required in order to buy one, and the background check is conducted by a federal agency, so I am not so naive as to believe that the feds aren't keeping a record of who has been cleared to purchase any particular firearm. So it's the same thing as a registration, except that there are no charges that go along with not registering one. Also, private sales and transfers do not require a background check, although if they can persuade a judge that a private seller had reason to know or suspect that the person buying the firearm was not eligible to own it, he can be charged - as would the person buying it because someone who is ineligible to own a weapon cannot legally buy one, whether it's a private sale or from a gun dealership.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I do my own reloading too.

Just for .45 Long Colt anymore: 200 gr. SWC over 9 gr. Unique.

Makes about 1000 FPS with a boom and recoil that will keep you awake.

Hal
    447.jpg

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are no state restrictions on guns in Alaska, just the Federal ones. We can open carry or concealed carry with no permit. I also reload, but only rifle shells. I have talked about reloading pistol ammo, but have not done so yet. @Cody Fousnaugh probably referring to magazines, not clips.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Same here, as of a couple of years ago.

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Not in the firearm?

Then why have a firearm?

Hal

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

It's none of the governments darn business if I have a firearm or not, it's my constitutional right to have one if I choose. Registering a gun tells the government exactly where to go get them when they're ready and it sure seems like they're getting ready. To stay on topic, I sure think I would be able to use one when needed, but as Bobby Cole says, no one really knows until it's a do it or die situation.

8. Ken Anderson

Why not? Having one gives you the option of using it. Not having one takes away your options.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, plus you can wave it around or do some "quick draw" moves at the mirror. :D

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It is said that the scariest thing a burglar or home invader can hear in the dark is a shell being chambered into a pump-action 12 gauge shotgun.:)

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In basic training at Ft. Polk, we all had to go on guard duty at some time or other with our M-14’s sans ammunition. Of course, nothing ever happened whilst on guard duty that would need ammunition but we all practiced at making it sound as though we were setting the mag and chambering a round just in case.
    The same thing occurred in A.I.T. with the exception of outside the crypto building during a training period whereby the guards stayed locked and loaded at all times. No mags sliding into place nor the sound of a round being chambered. Just the safety coming off and bang.

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Beirut Lebanon 1983, 241 Marines were killed in a truck bombing. Marines on guard had no ammunition in their weapons as was policy at the time.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my uncles use to say he'd rather face a hardened killer than a scared woman with a gun. A hardened killer would only kill you if he chose to, a frightened woman would kill you by accident.

14. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to agree with your uncle. I believe a frightened woman would empty the firearm before she stopped pulling the trigger. I have seen this with target shooting by women who were not familiar with firearms.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Learning how to use a firearm is an effective form of self-defense training for anyone, and it minimizes any advantages that a male perpetrator might have over a woman.

Don Alaska likes this.