Country Music Documentary

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's an 8-Part Series going all the way back to when the music first started. We are watching the last part, that talks about how the Judds got started, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Reba Mc Entire and others. The entire Series has been very interesting.

We are country music fans, but not all of the old singers, like Hank Snow, Little Jimmy Dickens, Bill Anderson and so on. We are much more fans of The Judds, George, Garth, Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, Dwight Yokam and so on.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Is it the same as country family reunion? That's been a series hosted by Bill Anderson for years, and includes all those you mention..but sadly most of the singers of that era are now passed... however it was a great series.. and now they have the younger ones singing, ..some are the adult kids of the originals ..Like Ronny Robins ( son of marty)... the daughter of Tammy and george..forgotten her name ... the sons of Merle Haggard, and many more!!

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bill Anderson did make comments during the documentary, but so did Marty Stewart, Hank Jr., Dolly Pardon and some others. On the one we are watching now, which is the Finale one, both of the Judd's (mother and daughter) talk about their years together.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing for sure, country music isn't the same today as it was years ago when George Strait, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kathy Mattea and others were going. Loved seeing Terry Clark sing, wearing her black cowboy hat. However, she wasn't that popular because of the hat and the Slicker she wore on Awards shows. George, Garth and Alan wouldn't be the country singers they are if it weren't for them wearing their cowboy hats, Wrangler jeans and boots.

Today, it seems like the only thing that makes a country singer "country" is their Southern voice. Torn jeans, tattoos, etc. isn't "country" to me.

Hedi Mitchell and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

I agree ''new country'' is not a patch on Old country music!!

It's clearly a different show to the one I was referring to, because Bill Anderson was the host on Country family reunion....

here's an example of a few minutes of one show of CFR

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, after watching the 7 parts of this documentary, I really didn't know there numerous country singers that were heavy drinkers and drug users. It was stated in the documentary that Willie Nelson had a guitar case full of mj. I guess, to a point, country singers had the same bad habits that the rock & roll singers had.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

:gasp:

Bess Barber likes this.
  8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

download - 2019-09-29T184200.240.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks for reminding me @Cody Fousnaugh . I'll make sure to see it sometime this week.
    And yes.....many are just as messed up as any other entertainers.
    Only sometimes do you get a Carrie Underwood, who in my opinion, is a wonderful role model.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think most of them had drinking problems. We saw Hank, Jr. in Raleigh and he was totally drunk.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Willie nelson is almost as famous for his intake of MJ as his music... ..not a great deal to most people... but when it comes to harder drugs and serious alcohol addiction..

..... many of the older and original country stars had serious drug or alcohol addictions which they battled and sometimes lost and some which eventually took their lives. Roger Miller, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash.. June Carter Cash, Hank Williams, Glen Campbell, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Johnny Paycheck ..and many more.

It may surprise you to learn that the seemingly clean cut Ray Charles was addicted to heroin and arrested several times for possession...

Shirley Martin likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I did know about Ray Charles and also knew about Ike Turner's abuse to Tina.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember seeing Carrie Underwood in the movie Soul Surfer as Church Youth Leader. She was terrific in that movie. However, I don't necessarily like the way she dresses onstage. Reminds me a lot of how the lady professional dancers look on DWTS. IOW, too revealing.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yep...….pain killers, alcohol, MJ, cocaine. All were played a part in many singers/bands of the past and present.

Not to change my thread, but the above is the reason why Seniors can't blame the kids of today for all of their drug and alcohol use. These two problems have been going on for upteen years, way before Woodstock happened.

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No. A recent production of Ken Burns.

Holly Saunders likes this.