Court Rules That Mother Must Allow Her Son To Be Circumcised

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A woman who is the mother of a 4 year old son has disappeared with the boy while disputing the father's right to have the child circumcised. The woman had initially agreed to the circumcision, and then changed her mind.
    The whole situation started over a year ago, and has now gone to court, where the judge passed down a ruling that the woman must either agree to the circumcision of her son, or she will be sent to prison.

While there are definitely more aspects to this situation, it appears that the boy's life is in no danger if he does not have the medical procedure; and I don't see how a parent can be sentenced to prison for a decision that is not a crime in any way.
    Here is the article , read it and see what you think about this.

http://rt.com/usa/238661-circumcision-florida-mother-prison/

2. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

At the rate this little issue is going, the boy will probably be a teen before the matter gets settled..Personally, I think both of the parents are acting like idiots and not loving the child but using him as a pawn.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The news story doesn't go into a lot of details, so I don't know what the circumstances are. For example, if the father were Jewish or a member of one of the several Protestant sects that believe in circumcision, then would make sense that he would want his son to undergo the procedure. However, it suggests medical reasons for it, and differences between the medical advice that one parent was receiving and the other. When in doubt, I'd say don't cut but, again, I don't know what circumstances there might be that aren't being reported.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, it seems like since there is dissension between the parents that the attention in all of this should be focused on the 4 year old. He made be too young but given that the mother has made him scared about having the procedure, I think he should be counseled. Who knows what is going on in his mind. This could lead to something more detrimental as this continues and as he grows older.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

It's so difficult to see this type of hostility between parents - I understand there will be disagreements over how to raise a child, but the parents should be able to work this out like two adults.

I feel for the little boy in this situation. He is way to young to understand all that is going on, but he does know that his mom has taken him away from his father, and that they are fighting over him. I'm sure he's scared and confused, and this type of thing will leave permanent scars - all because his parents couldn't get their acts together and behave like adults!