Cranks

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I am only 63, I grew up in a rural area where we didn't always get the latest in technology.

Thus, I can remember when my father had a car that had to be crank-started. As I recall, and I was pretty young then, it had a push-button starter inside but, because it wouldn't always start with the starter, he would sometimes have to crank it in order to get it to start. It looked dangerous to me. He would take the crank out from under the seat, and there was a place where it would be inserted in the front, and he would crank it, much like pull-starting a lawnmower. I am thinking that it was supposed to release, in some way, once it started, but if he couldn't get it off fast enough, it would whip around and go flying. I was always afraid it was going to hit him in the head or something. That car also had a rumble seat in the back. which flipped out from the trunk area, and faced backwards. It was always fun to ride in the rumble seat, although we could only do that when mom wasn't along. If there were such things as seat belts, they were kept conveniently tucked away somewhere.

Until I was at least ten or twelve, or so, we had a crank telephone, and as long as I lived at home, our phone was on a party line. I can even remember our number. Although it was referred to as a number, it wasn't really a number but a series of rings. Ours was short-short-long. Whenever anyone called anyone on the party line, everyone's phone rang. If there was two short rings and a long one, it was for us. In order to make a call, we would pick up the receiver, crank the phone, and the operator (Sarah, who worked out of her home) would place the call. If it was a local call, only the first name of the person you were calling was usually necessary.

My mom knew everyone's ring, pretty much, and if someone was calling one of her sisters, she would wait for them to answer, then quietly pick the phone up and listen. If it was someone else she knew, she'd join in, and have truly a party line, since there might be a half dozen of them on at the same time. Even when the crank phone was replaced, we were on a party line so, as a teenager, I could be assured that at least one of my aunts would be listening to any calls that I received.

Of course, alarm clocks and watches had to be wound, using a form of a crank.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

So Ken, I guess that means your family was always getting crank calls. :rolleyes::p

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

My grandfather drove a car that he had owned for 20 or 30 years old by the time I was born in the 1950s. It was in beautiful condition and good running order.Even in the 1950s that little black car was an unusual sight.

Sadly my granddad passed away when I was still very young. I have often wished that my father had held on to that car. I can only assume that he sold it after his father's death. I have seen similar ones at vintage car rallies and they must be highly valued now.

I remember that it had a running board and little flip up indicators and it was a joy to ride in. I clearly remember sitting on a well worn leather backseat when he gave me a ride.