Crock Pot Cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I can smell the aroma now...what time will it be ready? :)

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember when I was a young girl my mom had a pressure cooker and the noise it would make near the end of it's cooking always scared me!

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

14666168.jpg
    This is the next Crock Pot setup that I want. Because it's just my Honey and me most of the time for meals, these 3 smaller crockpots would easily could plenty enough food for the both of us. Meat, etc. cooked in one, maybe a starch in the second, and veggies in the third. I would have to adapt some of my recipes but I'm sure work just fine. :)

Mari North likes this.
  4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't care for food cooked in crock pot. It mostly all tastes the same and I don't like the texture of meat cooked in it. The one exception is pork for "pulled pork"; my grandson likes it. So, convenient yes. Tastes good, no.
    The pressure cooker is better if time is a factor. But even in that, everything seems to have that " pressure cooker taste".

If I had to choose between the two, it would be pressure cooker.

5. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do it, but not as often as I should. I do have a few great recipes and I'll post them when I have a little more time than I have now... one is my homemade spaghetti sauce... thick and really good!

There's also a PA Dutch recipe I'll try to find that I do... and my beef stew. Uh... okay, I hope I remember to do it. :)

@Babs Hunt , you just kind of spooked me by telling MY story. :eek: My original is round and what I mostly use, too.... it's a Rival and from the... probably late 70s or early 80s. Works *great*! Got a new oval a few years ago, too (see what I mean?!) and that's an original "Crock Pot" brand. I bought it specifically to do the Thanksgiving turkey breast because it didn't work in the round one (where's Rod Serling?!) and the turkey gets sooooo nice in there!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Okay, @Sheldon Scott I have a question for you. :) I've thought about getting a pressure cooker for years... always chickened out, though, because of a book I once read. In it, someone had a pressure cooker going (not electric, though, if that matters) and it *blew up.*

I've always had that visual in my mind about the dent it made in the ceiling and walls, and never wanted to risk having one because one of us could be in the room when the darn thing explodes. Can you assure me that it's no longer a concern with the new electric models?

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Veteran Member
    Registered

The pressure cookers made these days, electric and stovetop, have pressure relief valves and are no danger at all. The stove top kind do have to be watched. The electric ones just set the time and it'll shut itself off when done.

We have a big stove top pressure canner that uses a weighted jiggler which is probably the noise you remember. If you are canning things from the garden a pressure canner is essential.

Mari North likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Robin got us a new Copper Chef electric skillet from Sam’s Club, and I really like it . I have never had any kind of cookwear that was this non-stick ......everything just slides right out of the pan, and I cleaned it up with just the dishcloth afterwards.
    We used up the last of our turkey, and I made a turkey pot pie (which I would normally bake in the oven) and I cooked it in the copper skillet, and then put it in the oven for just a few minutes to brown the top crust.
    Unlike most electric skillets, this one sits on top of a flat base, sort of like a hot plate, and the pan can be removed to put in the oven or to clean it up.

I have always liked electric skillets, and this one is so versatile that it can do just about anything, from breakfast and hot cakes, to casseroles, to baked or fried chicken.
    When I wanted to clean the pan, I just slid the leftover pot pie out onto the cutting board, and then put it away in a storage container, and the skillet only needed a quick wash with some hot soapy water and the dishcloth. Even for a non-stick pan, I was totally impressed !

FB0348BD-892E-4ED5-B0AC-DA9DC0FC5494.jpeg

Terry Page likes this.