Crocuses and Groundhogs

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I love crocuses - I hate the Groundhog. Here's why.

We've been having really cold, dreary, wet weather here in Tennessee for quite some time now. The other day, in a slight break in the cold weather, I went out for a walk and noticed, around my mailbox, the crocuses were blooming. How wonderful to see these signs of spring, these perfect little purple flowers amongst all the other brown, dead plants. It reminds me that no matter how bad winter gets, spring always follows and we just have to bide our time.

As for the Groundhog, well, he saw his shadow on a cold, dreary overcast day?? Really, are you kidding me - 6 more weeks of winter?

Susan Long likes this.
  2. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

So happy you saw the crocuses! It really does lift my spirits to see happy colors on gray, dreary days. I even enjoy seeing the red berries on bushes in the yard.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been telling myself spring is on the way. We have not seen any signs of spring yet but I know it is on the way. We have been cold but sunny here. It would be nice to see some color on these cold days.

Susan Long likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is starting to look a little tiny bit like spring is coming here, too ! We had temperatures in the 60's yesterday, for the first time in quite a while. I walked out around the back yard, and I can see some tiny buds on the trees now, and I noticed that my ramps are starting to sprout.
    I planted them last summer, and ramps are one of those plants that go dormant in the summer, just like the wild onions do. Since these were just planted last year, I will not even use any of the tops on them this spring, I am just going to let them develop for another year, and then have some next spring.
    I have a few iris starting to come up out front, and I did plant some daffodils last year; so I am hoping that they will also come up and blossom this year.
    Lowes had pansies on sale when we went there, so I got a few to plant, and also some planter continers that were on closeout.
    I am hoping for some warmer days when I can go outside and start doing some yardwork again ! !

Susan Long likes this.
  5. Susan Long

Registered

I love to see the forsythia blooming, because I know daffodils and tulips are lining up for their 'beautiful displays' soon afterwards.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Looking at my house, I would have to say that I am not seeing any signs of spring. The groundhog froze to death, the daffodils have a few feet of snow to dig through and, unless you like white, we have no beautiful displays.

[​IMG]

Susan Long likes this.
  7. Susan Long

Registered

The snow is beautiful to me, but I think you are going to use your imagination for floral images for awhile!

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have actually had a whole weekend of 60+ degrees weather, and sunshine, at least part of the time.
    My daughter (Robin the Explorer) took Tootsie (our little Blue heeler mix) out on her exploring expedition this weekend, and they were having fun fossil-hunting along the Tennessee River.
    She found the first dandelion blooming out in the woods.
    She took a picture, so here is some real PROOF that Spring is actually on the way.

YEA, Dandelions ! !
    image.jpg

Susan Long likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We usually still have snow on the ground in early April and, last year, due to global warming, I'm sure, we had a snowstorm in April.

10. Susan Long

Registered

Yvonne, thanks so much for posting this reminder of coming attractions! Very nice indeed!