Curtis Sliwa: Anyone Remember The Guardian Angels?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

During the various riot and other civil unrest situations while still living in Chicago, we heard about the Guardian Angels, who patrolled the streets amongst the "hot spots", breaking up various activities ready to conflagrate. This was Chicago, ca. 1968. I thought, we should welcome someone like this, willing to risk life and limb, to bring about protection for the poor, uninvolved sector, during these violent upheavals. The Press tried to criminalize Sliwa and his Angels. I still to this day, do not know the truth.

"The Guardian Angels is a non-profit international volunteer organization of unarmed crime-prevention patrollers. The Guardian Angels organization was founded February 13, 1979 in New York City by Curtis Sliwa and has more than 130 chapters around the world.

Sliwa originally created the organization to combat widespread violence and crime on the New York City Subway system. The organization originally trained members to make citizen’s arrests for violent crimes. The organization patrols the streets and neighborhoods but also provides education programs and workshops for schools and businesses.

In the beginning, New York City Mayor Ed Koch publicly opposed the group.

The original and main Guardian Angels activity is "Safety Patrol" in which members walk the streets or ride transit."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_Angels

Read about them, and tell us what you think.

Frank

EDIT: Why did I think his program elegant? Because he was Polish!!

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the guardian angels. It seems like we need some of those around today at least in the cities. However, maybe they were being accused of vigilante justice. However, I think the angels were non violent. Anyway, you never hear about them anymore. Nice idea, we sure need something in these times of civil unrest and urban problems. I don't know if they are the answer though. Another trip in the way back machine!

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It was sort of a Neighborhood Watch program, only they covered more than their own neighborhood. It seemed like a good idea but, perhaps it's just me, but Curtis Sliwa gave me the creeps for some reason. Although it never happened, I remember thinking that I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was brought up on child molestation charges one day. No particular reason, but that's the impression he gave me. Although he did exaggerate the Guardian Angels' activities, I don't think there were much in the way of actual scandals involved with him, however.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I heard of them but don't remember too much negative or positive about them.

I don't like vigilantes at all.

I do like neighborhood watches though.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I do remember them.

Things have only become worse, not better it seems. I don't see any organized organization doing much good when it comes to things like this. This includes the Black Lives Matter movement.