Cute Or Creepy?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Neville Telen, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Creepy! Don't like bats or rats. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny that - bats give me the creeps - weird creatures, so I'll love them from afar, very far :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yuk !!! I would freak out if that Bat was at my window. We have a solitary Noctule bat which has lived in one of our trees for many years.. it comes out at dusk and flies superfast back and forth across the garden yomping moths and insects in flight . Once it's dark it disappears again until the next night.

I hate that bat, always have.. if I have to go in the garden at sunset, I always put my cap on..I hate the idea that the thing might piss on my head as it flies overhead....:eek:

My o/h think it's hilarious... because he loves Bats, he even brought a bat nesting house home the other week..I refused point blank to allow him to put it up.. One in the garden is one too many for me.

Neville Telen and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We used to have many bats, but they have been gone for years. I just noticed this year that they are back in the evening when I am out with the dog. I am glad to see them back as they reduce the mosquitos, but I don't know why they disappeared for some years.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a pet bat once, it learned to eat hanging upside down. It clung to the cove molding along the living room ceiling while sleeping. My friend and co-worker caught it in the State History Museum his folks were curators of, outside of Rockford, Illinois, and brought it to me.

Don't recall what happened to the little devil, maybe escaped the confines of the house.

For the non-believers amongst us, humans have inhabited this Earth for only several millions of years now, while the bats have comparatively mastered perpetuity of life by existing 20 times as long.

Frank

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I see a bat once in a while when I take Ella out to listen to the night sounds (watch for Martians), but I haven't seen many of them since moving to Maine. Shortly after moving here, we had a cat who brought a live bat into the house, though. Fortunately, she was not bitten. I don't want them flying down at my head, but I'm not overly afraid or creeped out by them. They're kind of cute in their own way.

Neville Telen and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think bats are okay, and I had one for a while when I was a teenager, but my mother said I needed to turn it loose again, so I did. I am sure it appreciated my mother telling me to do that.
    My friend, Norma, was babysitting for one of her neighbors, and she called me in a panic one night because a bat had gotten in the house somehow, and was flying all around. My mom took me over to where Norma was at, and I was able to catch the little fellow using the bottom of a broom, and he clung to the bristles.
    I don’t remember what I put him in to get him back home, maybe a small box; but he would hang from the strap of a shoe that had a tie strap, and he ate, mostly fruit, and some milk with honey in it.
    He was kind of like having a hamster with wings, if that makes any sense.

I don’t think that I would catch one anymore, but since they eat bugs, I would be glad to see it if we had any flying around. We have lots of mosquitoes for one to eat, for sure !

Neville Telen likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Bats get tangled up in peoples' hair".

Of all the ridiculous hocus-pocus, that ranks high on the list. In tests of bats' amazing sonar abilities, an entire room was strung top to bottom, wall to wall, with grids of stretched wire, forming cubical "safe-zones" about a foot square. Flying insects were introduced into the room, and then several bats. The bats were not only able to fly about negotiating the interfering wire, but also to dine on the insects at the same time! They also accomplished this feat in total darkness.

Would creatures of such astounding ability likely get "caught in your hair"?

Gimme a break!

Neville Telen and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Neville Telen

Registered

Who knows? Most gals are convinced that mice and rats are headed straight for the panties, like a heat-seeking missle to the butt end of a jet. I ain't never seen one run up a gal's leg, but I guess the idea had to start somewhere. Both my mother and granny were scared witless of that.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Neville Telen

Registered

I'm not a big fan, only because some have rabies, and I still recall the banshee screams of a cousin that had to have those shots in the navel. That said, I thought the waving bat was sorta cute.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.