Cyber Woes

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello, my Friends.....

I bought a new HP Photo Printer from Best Buy last Tuesday and installed it according to HP's instructions.

It printed text but would not print a Photo from my computer's photo files, so I returned it Thursday for another HP Photo Printer of a different model.

The replacement printer would print neither Text nor Photo, and could not be designated as my Default Printer either, so I'll be returning this printer today as well.

My HP Pavilion Computer, running Windows 7, is not working consistently either. Sometimes it will boot up in the morning instantly after entering the Password, and at other times it may take as long as a minute to boot up, with that annoying little arrow spinning until it stops.

I tried a Windows 10 computer a few years ago, but returned it the next day because it was not "user friendly" to me, with all the touch-screen operations and the color screens for different purposes.

Well, now I'm afraid I must "get with the program" and buy a Windows 10 machine and learn to use it!

But before I do, there are over 600 irreplaceable photo images in my files, and I'm nervous about saving them to disc on my own. Maybe I should take the old desktop to the Geek Squad and pay them to save all those pictures to a disc, unless I can get the courage and fool-proof instructions to do it myself...

This is a real turning point for me!

Hal

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can relate to what you are thinking about this, @Hal Pollner , and losing pictures is always something that was a worry for me, too, and sometimes happened when my computer crashed, and then I lost everything.
    Now that I have the iPad, this is totally a non-issue, because everything is stored in the cloud, so there is always a back up, and iPads rarely (if ever) crash anyway.
    Possibly, you might be able to put something like either google photos, or Amazon photos on your old computer, and then you can upload all of the photos into the cloud, where they will be safe, and they can be easily accessed by whatever new computer you decide to replace the old one with.
    If you can’t do that, then it would be worth it to have someone professional come out and put your photos all on an external hard drive, or what is called a thumb drive.
    The older computers use a disk; but none of the newer ones are likely to have a place for this since it is old enough technology that it is not used much (if at all) anymore.

As a suggestion, you might want to look into getting a Mac instead of Windows, since you are going to be upgrading and learning a new system anyway.
    If you have questions, @Ken Anderson is very knowledgeable about Macs, as is @Holly Saunders , and I think that there might be others who use an Apple computer, laptop, or an iPad like Bobby and I use.

Also.....if you only need to print out a few photos, go to Walmart.com, to the photo section, and you can order the prints from them and just pick them up from the store.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My computer has been acting a bit weird.
    Of morning I will tap a key on keyboard and all I get is blue screen. Tgen once ut is up and running..if on the internet but notdoing anything screen will go blue again. Takes a bit of tapping to get iy moving.Other oddities also but this one makes me wonder if monitor is gping out.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks like you might have already saved all of your photos to your little Samsung device, @Hal Pollner ! I was looking back through your posts about it to see if something named what device it was, since I can only find it called a Galaxy Player. In my search , I found this posted by you a year ago.

WAIT A MINUTE...
    I thought I'd try something with my Samsung device...I connected its charging cable to my computer's USB port, then opened my picture file, and the Samsung immediately began downloading every picture in my file, plus 283 more that were hiding in my file for years! I thought I had 352 pictures, but my computer coughed up 635!

I can now select "gallery", then scroll to any picture by selecting the group, then the picture, and I can also enlarge it with my fingers, just like you smart people can do!

Now I can feel snooty and superior like the rest of you!:D
    Harold
    Hal Pollner, Apr 24, 2018

So plug that little puppy back in and see if all of your pictures are not already copied onto the Samsung device ! If they are there, then you can easily transfer them into what ever new computer you decide to get.

Von Jones, Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had a similar issue when my main computer was damaged in the earthquake last November. I had everything backed up on an external hard drive, but finding what I wanted was a nightmare. I could bring the old computer up for a short period but I couldn't leave it up for long periods. I couldn't get a flash drive large enough to hold all my pictures locally, so I ordered one from Amazon and transferred all the pictures onto the flash drive. Now I can access them on whatever platform I choose.

Von Jones, Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Blue Screen of Death.
    I take it that you are using a Windows OS. The safest way I know of finding out is to do a system restore.
    Normally, it’s just something that failed to install properly like an update or even another program or app that you may have tried to install recently.
    Just restore your computer to an earlier date when you knew it was working properly and bingo, you should be up and going again. :)

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

HEY YVONNE & BOBBY,

My printer now prints both text pages and 4x6 photos!

I called HP, where I have a servicing account, and the technician was able to install the required driver software online while I waited.

The driver software wasn't included in the factory unit from BestBuy.

I'll probably buy a Windows 10 computer, not a MAC.

Thanks for your helpful advice on the Samsung device!

Harry

Yvonne Smith likes this.