Czech/bohemian Dumplings

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Most all have heard me speak of them. Common food fare amongst Central Europeans, made in various forms & types.

While a kid, my Mother made them often, several times a month usually on Sunday. Left over "dumps" form a great stick to the ribs morning or noon meal with scrambled eggs for a kid returning to school, browned in butter crispy! Today I talked my wife into coaching me once again. There is no fixed recipe!

Making 5: 2 eggs beaten with a fork, 3/4 Cup milk, flour added a little at a time and slowly mixed in until the dough no longer tends to cling to the bowl sides. Add 1 slice toast broken into fingertip size pieces, more flour, squeeze the mix with the fingers to incorporate the added flour. Form into orange-sized globs:

The big one on left contains Cherries from a can of Pie Filling: an experimental fruit dumpling. The others are plain, awaiting boiling.

[​IMG]

In the cookpot. Boil 10 min., turn over, 10 more. The fruit guy is all alone; my wife feared the juices would run out destroying it. I poked in a fork, as I had seen my grandma do 70 years ago, to relieve steam pressure witihin. It worked!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To the uninitiated, these things are borderline disgusting. Indeed, first time my wife's folks ate over, they shunned the dumps we gobbled, smothered in turkey gravy! A variation well-known are Polish Pierogi, made similarly, but rolled thin, filled with sauerkraut, cabbage, or meat, then closed and boiled are wonderful, too!

Frank

Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My mom used to make dumplings served with gravy. One menu item I put on my list not to make when I grew up. :D

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica It is close to the way to cook Matzo balls, but the filling idea sounds wonderful. I can't eat eggs, but if I could, I would make this!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Janel Jones

Janel Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Had to chuckle when I saw this topic....my DIL's mom makes 100 of these at a time, Mongolian style, for the little ones to have for lunch or if they get picky about eating what's being served for dinner....I'm not too fond of them....they're kinda bland tasting....of course she freezes most em then pops em into boiling water for 5 minutes to serve up when needed.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never had a dumpling that size. My mother made strip dumplings (rolled out and cut) to add to chicken and broth. I prefer my "boiled flour and egg mixture" to be shaped into pasta. :D

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My Ukrainian/Polish Mom used to make these Pierogis. (With a sour cream topping)

They are available commercially from "Mrs.T's" in the frozen foods section.

Hal
    84548073-ukrainian-and-russian-dish-.jpg

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

These are called "halupkis" also known as "Stuffed Cabbages", with rice, ground beef, and tomato sauce.

Hal
    halupkis.jpg