D I Y Forum Section

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Faye Fox, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I see some DIY threads under appropriate forums, but it occurred to me that it might be an asset to have a special forum for DIY projects all in one easy to find place. I have found so many things i used to do, I have trouble with anymore. I use You Tube and it is wonderful, but what if all us seniors shared our tips on how we could do something that the youth of You Tube may do and make look easy, but how can we do it when we can't stand on our head or get down and get back up without calling for help. Tips, tricks, and secrets of the senior DIY Mr. or MS. Fix it, might be of interest. But before I petition Ken and plead my case before the throne, I want to know what others think. Would it be useful to have a special place to find all our DIY questions and expertise or would it be an little used forum? It could be anything from sewing on a button to replacing a sink trap to how to get the damn denture glue off your gums. What do you think?

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I think it's a great idea,
    but you and @Von Jones are the only really handy DIY ones. :D

images - 2019-10-25T174549.130.jpeg

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What I need is someone else to do it for me but I like the idea if is easy useful and helpful tips or advice that even I could try.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Excuse me, I can hold my own when it comes to DIY..don't you worry about that !! I was 20 years divorced before I remarried, it was me who did all the maintenance around here in that time... and just this summer I built a Barn on our land just hubs and me, without any help from anyone else!!

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders You tell those girls that thought you were just a fashion girl ha ha ha! I knew you were a fierce warrioress. There is a lot of DIY experts on here, maybe mostly guys, but if I can get time and money and backache saving tips, let them speak! Don't be shy about a DIY girl project @Bess Barber, we have your back! That pallet can be re-purposed into some awesome home decor.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

My little sister is the arty one in the family , she can take a piece of garbage and turn it into something beautiful, and that was long before there was Youtube to show her what to do. For example one of the first things she ever made for her first home was a beautiful waist high dried flower vase..

She took the inner stiff cardboard which was about 4 feet high , from a new rug.. and about 6 or 8 inches wide.. and painted it.. then she glued it onto a pre-painted piece of plinth about 12'' by 12'' ...simple as could be and yet it looked like a designer piece ...

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What's wrong with the Home Improvement section?

8. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Not quite because @Frank Sanoica ought to be included as the DIY master of all times and @Bobby Cole is also known as someone who can tell a hammer from a srew driver. :D And there may be other hidden talents as well.
    Like Holly, I myself helped build a garage, a weekend home and built a carport, a garden shed all by myself plus did a lot of maintainance around the house and still do. Have just started to repaint my garden shed. As I age I have more things done than I used to, though.
    What's also true, perhaps, is that I haven't posted anything about all that yet.:D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This forum has many highly accomplished members. I am not one of them. I have and can do a lot of things, but do nothing at a master level. Since we have so many already existing categories that cover projects members have done and do address questions of how can I do it myself, my idea of having a place just for questions rather than showing our accomplishments, is probably unnecessary and would just create more problems for Ken and Yvonne.

10. Ken Anderson

If we get a bunch of such threads, I can always create a subforum in Home Improvement for DIY stuff but, until then, that would be a good place for it. "Home" isn't necessarily restricted to work on the house.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Home Improvement is like someone is putting in a new bathroom sink.
    DIY is like someone trying to rig up a curtain so it drapes properly.
    :D

I missed the denture post, but I know fingernail glue works great on a porcelain crown if it fall off.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered