Darwin Australia Attack By Japanese Bombers In 1942

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a little known fact and a source of embarrassment to the Australian government. There is a great story about this on You Tube.

I visited Darwin in 1996 and it is the most remote city on this earth that I have ever been to.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Lon Tanner There were quite a few videos on the subject. I didn't know which one you would like best, but am posting this one for you. I didn't know they also had a Pearl Harbor event. What a surprise!

Craig Wilson likes this.
  3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh yes it did happen to my country too.. Rumored at the time by everyone, other than the government, as preparation to a Japanese invasion. Yes the government were embarrassed and naive never thinking the Japanese would repeat Pearl Harbor on our soil.The invasion may have succeeded too had heavily out manned and out armed Australian soldiers not stopped the huge battle-hardened Japanese land advance on Port Moresby, PNG. Not sufficient praise can be afforded also to the gallant American and Australian sailors who repelled the Japanese invasion fleet from landing at Moresby at the Battle of the Coral Sea. Losing this battle almost definitely changed any mind the Japanese may have had to occupy PNG..an Australian possession and then the continent itself.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Had read about this many years ago.

Did not realizes that the bombing went on for over a year.

But searching on You Tube about it another theme came up which I found shocking, there are about 6 episodes on this,this is the first one.

5. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered