Daughter Broke Her Hip

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Wheeler, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Does she have a partner and children?...or is she still at home ?

2. Arlene Wheeler

Arlene Wheeler Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Cassie is single and has no kids, she lives with me but I'm not able to lift her and care for her by myself so she needed to be admitted to a skilled nursing facility while she recovers

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is exactly what I was wondering also.
    I was in my 50’s when I was stomped by a bucking horse and had my leg broken and shattered. I was also overweight, but they had to do surgery on the leg, and no one ever mentioned that being overweight might be a problem, so I am wondering if there is some other health reason why they can’t do surgery ?
    With my leg, since the outside was popped open like a broken hot dog, they could not put a cast on because the wound had to be cleaned and kept clean until that part had healed enough for a cast.
    My doctor said it was the worst broken leg that he had seen outside of the military, and he put it back together as well as he could, and then they put steel pins through my leg , above and below the break to try and hold the leg in place while it healed.
    Eventually, they could take the pins out and put on a regular cast that went from hip to foot, and the whole ordeal was about 6 months before I could walk without a cast.
    Having gone through this, your daughter has my complete sympathy, and I am sending prayers for her healing well, properly, and fast !

Also...... Welcome to the forum, @Arlene Wheeler !
    Glad to have you with us. I am an Idaho transplant , now living in Alabama; where are you from ?
    There is a section for introductions if you want to write a little bit about yourself there, and if not, just jump into any of the conversations anywhere here and make yourself at home.

4. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

@Lois Winters she is pre-diabetic and their concerns were about circulation and blood clots if they operated

Lois Winters and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

of course, I can totally understand that... it would just be way too difficult to do everything for her in this type of situation by yourself, but it must be so difficult for you to see your ''baby'' like that ... I do wish her well bless her heart...

Lois Winters and Arlene Wheeler like this.
  6. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

@Yvonne Smith thanks, her fractures were very serious but I was reading the notes I took to answer your question and someone else's and the report said that they were "non-displaced, simple fractures" and after some research, the breaks didn't go through the skin and fractures through the bone but stayed aligned. That sounds like a major difference from your break. P. s. That sounds extremely painful! P. p. s. I live in Ohio and have my whole life, later I will put together an introduction. Thanks for the advice and suggestion

7. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Arlene Wheeler new to the group - FMS Introductions & Personal….gif Sorry that one of your first posts was of something so painful for your daughter, the pain she must have, sounds like her recovery will take quite a while, good luck to her for positive healing. Again, welcome Arlene, hope you enjoy your time here, is a great place. :).

8. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

@Holly Saunders it really is difficult, I wish I could do more for her. I visit as often as I can-almost every day- but I can't go much more.

It seems very mentally/ emotionally difficult for her as well as physically challenging for the same reason. Not being able to take care of herself and relying on others even for basic needs had been a struggle

9. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

Thanks @Micki Pembroke I joined for advice and support during this challenge in out lives and I've gotten it so far, this was the right place to turn. Thank you all!

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can relate to that helpless feeling also.
    Even simple things can be almost impossible when we can’t walk. I didn’t have good enough balance to use crutches very well, especially at first, and used a walker.
    When you are doing that , it takes both arms and both legs just to get from one place to another, and there is no way to even try to carry something, and I knew that if I dropped something on the floor, I couldn’t possibly get it picked back up again.
    The whole experience was awful, and it seemed like it took forever to get back to where I could actually walk and do things again, and I know it affected my (usually cheerful) attitude a lot , also.

If she enjoys reading, maybe you can find her some good books to read. When I was in the hospital, and grumbling about being stuck there, one of my best friends brought me a Patrick McManus book, and I laughed so hard that I almost rolled out of that hospital bed ! Nothing could have cheered me up better.
    Since McManus grew up in the same little Idaho town as I did, his hilarious stories were even better, because I knew all of the places he described in his books.

11. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

@Yvonne Smith no, the younger generation seems like they wouldn't know what to do with a book. She's on her phone all the time.

What did your cast look like? Were you slowed to walk on it at all? Could you pick the color?

The nurses are able to use a lift and move her to a wheelchair to get out of bed for a while at least but she's stuck in that half-laying/ half-sitting position by her cast

I've had to deal with a lot of attitude from her, so I can only imagine what the nurses hear when she needs changed, bathed, etc. she absolutely hates needing babied as she calls it

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  12. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum @Arlene Wheeler :)

Sorry to hear what happened to your daughter. I hope she will fully recover as soon as possible. My best regards to her. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    I'm not sure what advice we can give you. Yvonne seems to have been through a great ordeal for that matter.

It's very unfortunate that your daughter can't be operated on. My daughter had a double femoral neck fracture in November. She was operated on immediately and gamma nails were inserted (similar to Yvonne's case) which will be taken out again after twelve months. The operation spared her the cast. My mother was also treated in the same way twice at the age of 81 and 88. Both could walk again after four weeks. Too bad an operation is not possible because that's the best treatment right now.

The way you describe her makes me think she can't wait to be on the bike again. Do you think she will?

13. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

It scares me, but I think she will as soon as she can. She's never had a mishap like this before though, thank god.

Reading these responses, especially yours @Thomas Stearn about your daughter also having femoral neck fractures, makes me wish we could have gotten a second opinion. How is our daughter doing? What happened?

14. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing spectacular: She was thrown off balance at the wrong moment and couldn't break her fall. She's been doing alright so far but has to be careful not to fall again. Although she'd got out of bed the next day and started walking on crutches after two days, she noticed after some time that the thigh that was operated on had shrunk.