Days Of Future Passed

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Tim Burr, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Will be turning 66 next year, and remembered that it's my full retirement age.
    The working penalty for SS doesn't apply after that.

I mentioned this at work and was asked if I would consider coming back full time instead of the two days I work now.

They made me an offer that's hard to turn down.

Had my yearly physical and things are in good order.

Not sure if Ken takes points away if you're not retired and on the forum,
    guess I'll keep a low profile.

I have till the end of this year to mull things over.

Either way, it's nice to know I'm still wanted at my 'advanced' age.

Just before Thanksgiving, my Mother passed.
    We recently returned back home from the West Coast.

My Dad and Mom met in High school, married, and Dad went off to War.
    Dad came back and they were together till Dad passed 2 years ago.
    They were very happy and devoted to each other.
    Taught us well.

She was 92.

They are together again.

I am happy for that; but the pain is still there.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG Tim, what an emotional time you've had recently, I'm so sorry your mum passed so recently, it doesn't help when people say they got to a good age..I know that, it's still your mum and dad whatever age they got to... so you will be grieving sorely for mum especially now having just lost her, and of course both of them within such a short time, but bless them both, I hope they are now together wherever they are.. R.I.P to them both

OTOH...what fantastic news, that at 66 which after all is no age nowadays..but it's so hard to even get a job after 50 now..that you've been offered a full time position at your part-time job...and better still, you're fit enough to do it too... if indeed you feel you could manage a full time position again

Maybe it's just exactly what you need, get back out in the world properly.. bring in a full salary..and really enjoy it until YOU decide enough is enough... but it'll give you a new lease of life and fill the coffers for as long as you want ...I hope you decide to take it..even if it's only for a short time.. retirement if we're spared good health can be a verrrrry long time doing nothing, and earning nothing..

Having just recently taken early retirement... I'm already missing the structure of my days ...

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My condolences @Tim Burr! Hard to lose a loved one anytime but near a Holiday it's even tougher.

As for your job...do whatever your wife thinks is right. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My sympathy for the loss of your Mom. Like Chrissy said, It's harder when you lose someone near a holiday. My Daddy died December 22 and was buried Christmas Eve Day. For many years, it was all I could do to get through Christmas. My daughter died Memorial Day and it's still all I can do to get through that day.
    It's great that you have the job offer. My advice would be, take it and work as long as you enjoy it. When it is no longer enjoyable, quit.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Its nice to think of your Dad and Mom being together again @Tim Burr...but I'm truly sorry for your loss of both of them in your life now and I pray God's comfort and peace to you and yours at this time.

Nice job offer...if you really want it...or need it. Follow your heart and your wife's in making this decision and I'm sure it will be the right one whatever you decide.