Death-defying Lunch Scene

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Lately, few weeks now, we been lazier than usual, skipping our several times weekly walks. Today we put our foot down, walked 5 laps around the Laughlin Mall, then availed ourselves of one of the three monthly buy 1 get 1 buffets we get at the Riverside.

Seated right against the huge window, looking out over that big river, my wife took a few pics. Never expected what happened as we ate. First, the Laughlin Tour boat came on down; it goes all the way up to Davis Dam, then back downriver to the farthest resort, Harrah's, about 4 miles, and back. It carries perhaps 50 or more people, nice, scenic trip, cool inside cabin, outside today, 115 degrees!

[​IMG]

I spotted a strange-looking contraption coming down with the current, as my seat faced upstream. Turned out to be an elderly couple both squeezed into one kayak, the lady dragging a second using one leg hanging over the side! Told my wife, they seem to be in trouble. The guy frantically paddled to get to shore just below our window, the river was rough, water high, and getting out was difficult anyway due to a high concrete breakwater. I wished she had zoomed in closer. They had NO LIFE jackets, and she may have dumped over with her kayak, and he pulled her into his.

[​IMG]

Two bystanders below us on the riverwalk, which passes below the overhanging restaurant, clambered down to help them. From my wife's vantage point, she could not see the couple, but the gray haired gent on the left had been in the kayak.

[​IMG]

I believe these are the good samaritans, the old folks out of view. It seems a security agent showed up next, I couldn't see him from where I was, but he helped pull all 4 up the embankment. Those old codgers might have died today!

[​IMG]

Next, we see a police patrol slowly heading upstream, towards what appeared in the distance to be a capsized watercraft. Getting closer, drifting with the current, we see two people in the water, the capsized boat can be seen behind the patrol boat. The two have been helped aboard when this was taken. Too far away to tell if they had flotation devices on or not. Many foolhardy folks ignore doing so. The river can be treacherous, and the fools drive personal watercraft far too fast. This year 3 or 4 have been killed already.

[​IMG]

This jerk, captured about a year ago, still good for laughs, thought he could drive his Jeep across the river! The current spun him around, facing back to shore, too late. The cops brought a big boat to bail him out. Hope he got a good stiff fine! At high water, this river's center depth is well over 25 feet. Too much even for a mighty 4X4!

[​IMG]

Reflecting on all this, as we finished a delicious lunch, I thought about, and remarked to my wife: we are so fortunate to be able to live in a place where this river's presence makes it near Paradise, inexpensive living, and we do it no longer shackled to a time-clock! Frank

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you ever mention you were talking about the Colorado river, Frank? Just think of those poor souls who wouldn't know immediately which river you may be referring to. ;) Yet there's a nice guy on the web called Mr Goggle who proved very helpful once again.

Well, I'd have had respect for a river with the name Colorado. I associate the word with wilderness anyway which would also include a river with that name. Good to hear that everything worked out fine. You're right, of course, elderly as well as younger folks should be more careful and not underestimate the river's powerful current. They were visitors probably, weren't they?

Good to hear, too, that you have finally found a nice place for your retirement. For all those who aren't so much the adventurer when getting on in years I'd recommend the river Elbe not far from where I (used to) live. :rolleyes: No dangerous currents at normal water level but just right for taking a boat trip on different watercraft. Just tranquil and relaxed and the right scenery for folks of our age. Not that exciting perhaps but survival guaranteed. :D
    Elbe1.jpg
    Above and below: The river Elbe near Dresden not too far away from the Czech border. Shame on them floating downstream.;)
    Elbe2.jpg

This one is the same river but 150 miles downstream:

Elbe3.jpg

(All photos taken while enjoying a beer or two.:p)
    I wouldn't recommend the Danube, though. You may not have heard about it but not long ago a tour boat with about 17 Koreans sank within 7 seconds (.) in Budapest after being rammed by a larger river cruiser. The boat hasn't been salvaged yet. The river is said to be 11 m deep there and known for its undercurrents and maelstroms.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to have fun in kayaks in my younger years but I can't even imagine being in one today. Even if I didn't capsize, kneeling (or sitting, depending on the type of kayak) in that cramped space would kill me. When I was younger, my kayak would capsize often, usually (but not always) intentionally. I kind of enjoyed capsizing it, so that I was underwater, then rocking it, so that it would upright itself again, since that always impressed people. Impressing people is what it's all about, anyhow. Except for the lower price, there are better choices if you're interested only in getting across the lake.

Even before I got old, I was in my mid-30s when I learned that I could no longer even navigate a canoe without tipping it over.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like a nice place, @Frank Sanoica . I'm glad you didn't have to see a tragedy happen!

@Thomas Stearn , there are actually two Colorado rivers in the USA! My son lives near the Colorado River in Texas.

5. Thomas Stearn

Registered

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, for many years I didn't know it, either. I thought the Texas Colorado River was somehow a "branch" of the larger Colorado but didn't think much about it. :D We are never to old to learn!!

Frank Sanoica and Thomas Stearn like this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Registered

That's a relief. ;)

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Geography has never been my long suit. :D

Don Alaska and Thomas Stearn like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Long suit?..I've never heard that phrase before, so I looked it up..and sure enough it means the same as ''strong suit'' which is what we use... :D...another thing I've learned today..

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    I never knew it existed until a sign proclaiming "Little Colorado River" presented itaelf as we drove through northern Arizona......Believe Little Colorado drains into Colorado, possibly around the northern part of the Grand Canyon.

@Thomas Stearn Thank you for noting I failed to name the Colorado River! I guess I assume most everyone knows of my location, which is a foolish assumption on my part. The Colorado, looking pretty tame, is the same river which created this:

[​IMG]

The Grand Canyon. Over a mile deep! A little-known fact about the canyon is that in it's depths is located an Indian village, set aside as a reservation at it's floor. The Havasupai Indians living down there raise crops, families, and allow certain numbers of tourist visits. The area is incredibly lush and beautiful, containing many amazing waterfalls.

"The Havasupai people (Havasupai: Havsuw' Baaja) are an American Indian tribe who have lived in the Grand Canyon for at least the past 800 years.[1]Havasu means "blue-green water" and pai "people"
    See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havasupai

[​IMG]
    "Havasu Canyon is a stunning paradise that few ever get the chance to experience. This magnificent oasis sits on the floor of the Grand Canyon near Supai Village, the reservation center if the Havasupai Indian Tribe. It is tucked into a canyon-offshoot about 35 miles west of the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim boundaries.

Reaching the series of waterfalls on the Havasu Creek requires hiking the trail down from the canyon rim to the bottom of the canyon. Visitors can also take a helicopter ride to Supai Village and hike a couple of miles to reach the astounding beauty and tranquility of Havasu Falls, and its sister falls of Navajo, Mooney, and Beaver Falls.
    https://www.arizona-leisure.com/havasu-falls-pictures.html

My nephew, Mike, living in Flagstaff since 1985, has hiked down to Havasu Canyon. I never have, regrettably, and today likely could not. Frank

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Poker term I think....

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Frank Sanoica -- The Texas Colorado River is entirely within Texas; it is not the "Little Colorado."

[​IMG]

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    Sorry. I didn't think I implied that it had anything whatever to do with the AZ Colorado River, but meant there is yet a THIRD Colorado River, the Little Colorado.

14. Thomas Stearn

Registered

Thanks, Frank, for those beautiful pics. I know roughly where you live but wouldn't be able to list all the geographical attractions off the top of my head. I'd have to inform myself about distances, too. I've heard and seen the Grand Canyon in movies and documentaries. I knew why to take it seriously. It's a breathtaking scenery and a must for many tourists. You probably wouldn't recommend walking alone there as the guy in the photo, would you?
    The fact about the Indian reservation and the waterfalls is rarely known, indeed. I didn't know it. :D I thought it was all desert. Now since there are three Colorado rivers, it makes my ignorance a tad more bearable.;)

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn It isn't ignorance at all. It is just not having been exposed to the extremes existing in the Desert Southwest, at any great length. Having grown up in Chicago, then traveling out West only by chance, a honeymoon as it were, the morning we left I asked my new wife should we go east or west; she answered she had seen the east when her family landed from Germany in New York. Thus, we headed west.

I never dreamed then that the allure of mountain grandeur could grow on me as it did. We were actually heading to Los Angeles, to visit my uncle. Took a most scenic two-lane highway through Utah which proclaimed "save hours to L.A." Unimaginable colorful "high-country", following the Fremont River, all the while totally unaware that the second largest man-made lake in America, Lake Powell, was just then filling with Colorado River water, Glen Canyon Dam having just recently been completed. I think it was Utah which got me "hooked" on the West. This was in 1965; we traveled west several times during the next 6 years on vacation, and finally moved to Las Vegas in 1972, after my first 30 years of life being spent living in the same little house, my first real adventure in life.

There are people in this view of part of "Goblin Valley", adjacent to Capitol Reef N.P.:

[​IMG]
    The immensity of the area is amazing.

The highway follows the Fremont River:
    [​IMG]

Below is a more descriptive means of seeing parts of Capitol Reef:

Thomas Stearn likes this.