Death Knell For Sugar?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Craig Wilson, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Natural plant extract Stevia is now the leading sweetener for plant-based drinks (dairy alternatives); dairy-based ice cream and frozen yogurt; ready-to-drink iced tea; and dressings and vinegars. Stevia also has a high use incidence in: carbonated soft drinks, other drinks plus meal replacements.

Among the multinational food and beverage makers using Stevia are Calbee Foods, The Coca-Cola Co, Groupe Danone, Nestle, PepsiCo and Unilever.

Since 2017 the use of Stevia has increased by 42% and is putting serious pressure on white sugar.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I doubt that stevia will ever replace sugar, as yeast don't use it, but it would be good if it replaced sugar in most soft drinks.

Craig Wilson and Joy Martin like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I use only that type sweetner , except for sugar. However it is not really sweet tasting to me.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sugar is the only sweetener we use. I can't stand any of the "substitutes."

5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've used Stevia for years for my morning coffee and when a little sugar is needed in something...I've cut way back on sugary stuff as years ago listening to a author of one of her books: Cancer cells love a sugary environment...

Craig Wilson likes this.
  6. Craig Wilson

Registered

Good for you @ Joy Martin. Cancer cells love a sugary environment. How true. We also use it in home made stews and such. In fact the white poison is no longer welcome in my house.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Craig Wilson

Registered

If Stevia wont kill off white sugar this little fruit may. Monk Fruit (below) . I had not heard of this fruit until recently. It is grown in China and Northern Thailand and unlike Stevia and Zylitol its sweetness comes from naturally occurring antioxidants called ‘mogrosides’ and is renowned for its intense sweetness with a subtle caramel undertone. The small, green gourd that resembles a melon was first used by Buddhist monks in the 13th century, hence the unusual name. I am considering trying out a combination Stevia/monk fruit powder.
    upload_2019-6-5_6-10-8.jpeg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You don't want to overdo it with the monk fruit, though. Using the same amount of monk fruit that you would sugar results in something being way too sweet. I don't use sugar or any sweeteners often, but there is something off about the taste of monk fruit, IMO. Stevia is better, tastewise.

9. Craig Wilson

Registered

Goes without saying. I already use a miniscule amount of stevia compared to former white poison. I have not tried monk fruit but when I do I will pass on my findings.

Don Alaska likes this.