Deer In My Yard

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by K E Gordon, Sep 11, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I just went outside for a second and I saw two deer in my yard. They were young deer, one still had some visible spots. They of course. alerted when I came out on the porch, but I was as quiet as possible so I could watch them. They were basically just wandering around, and didn't seem to be up to too much in particular. I thought about getting the camera, but I thought any more noise from me they would bolt. The funny thing about the deer, they seem to show up when you least expect them...What about you? Do you see deer in your yard?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We used to see deer in our yard every day when we lived at my home in north Idaho. The deer always came to lick at the salt that I put out for the horses and the llama, and drink at the water trough.
    They really didn't care if we were outside working in the yard ot not, and they just stood there and watched us watching them.
    Sometimes, they would lie in the shade of a tree and just relax and not even get up when we were looking at them. The dogs would bark like crazy; but they were just the tiny little dogs, and the deer were never afraid of the dogs.
    Eventually, they would get tired of listening to the dogs bark, and would get up and go bounding off down towards the powerline road, with my little Shorkie dashing along behind, barking ferociously.
    Soon, the deer disappeared around the bend in the trail, and Red would come bouncing jauntily back home, sure that she had done her duties as a guard dog.
    Here is a picture of someof the deer in the driveway. Since it is an old picture, and a very cheap camera, it is pretty fuzzy, but you can at least see the deer.
    image.jpeg

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

How wonderful to see deer right in your back yard! In Hawaii we don't have deer on Oahu. We got wallaby, but they are way up high in the mountains in Kalihi. I just have birds that I've a water container for (just a plastic container that food comes in) or frogs and toads and lizards too in my back yard. The mainland has a lot more variety of wild animals to see in your back yard than we do here on Oahu...lucky you!

K E Gordon and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I have deer that cross my yard daily. There is a doe with twins,a doe with one fawn and three doe that run together. I haven't seen a buck with any of them but there has to be one. I love seeing them and watch for them every day I'm home.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's very amusing to us to see a deer in your place. What we have here are birds only, not the ordinary ones that you see in the city. But like the deer, the birds are too difficult to shoot with a camera for they are really wild and would fly away upon seeing humans afar. According to the oldtimers here in our village, there used to see a variety of animals here particularly the big lizard that we call bayawak. It is like a small crocodile that is hunted for its meat. They also catch python that they sell to buyers for the meat. I would rather see a deer in our front yard than a boa constrictor, huh.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a salt block for the deer and we put apple cores and such out too. They mostly come at night but we see them around at other times too.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to see deer when on a road trip. I think they are beautiful animals (is that because of Santa and his reindeer I wonder). But here is a funny story...

My grandson and I rode down with my DIL's mother for Thanksgiving. Clayton was maybe five or six I think. He admired his uncle very much and wanted to help my son with tasks around the house. It was late and the sun had set. C.J. asked Clayton if he wanted to take out the trash. Eagerly he listened to the directions given and out the door he went. A few minutes later C.J. came to me and said that he found the trashbag sitting by a pine tree near the house. We were puzzled because outside was very well lighted. It took me a moment but I remembered that when Clayton came back in the house he was breathing kind of funny and his eyes were very big. I figured being in unfamiliar surroundings that he was a little scared. Then it dawned on me. He saw deer and sat the trash down and ran like all get out back in the house.:eek: My son and I rolled with laughter after I shared my thoughts.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd love to see deer in the car park :)

Yvonne Smith and K E Gordon like this.
  9. K E Gordon

Registered

It's fun to see deer, but what I would really like to see is a bear, as long as it is a suitable distance away from the house that is. Not too sure, I would want to see one in my yard, however, I may have relayed this story one other time, but one time we were camping in Shenandoah National Park, about an hour from here, I was sitting outside the tent, doing some paperwork when I looked on the hillside and their was a black bear about hmm maybe 25 to 50 yards from me. I wasn't scared because he was paying no attention to the campground he was just foraging on the hillisde for food. Natually, I had no camera readily available, hubby had gone to do some errand, so he didn't see it either, but it was neat. I told some people camping across the way. I thought it was exciting because I had always wanted to see a bear in the wild.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My brother has deer that will come up to his door, across a fairly large yard, because he feeds them sometimes. He lives in town too, although on the edge of town adjacent to a woods.

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  11. K E Gordon

Registered

After I posted that, today I saw another small group of deer in the community. These were not the same deer because they were much smaller. It was kind of funny because you usually see small deer or fawns with their mother..These seemed to be wandering around. That is the thing with deer around here...A few sghtings within a day or two, and I might not see anymore for months. It is almost the Fall season when they get more active anyway.

12. Michael Dean

Michael Dean Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We frequently get them in our local car park here in Scotland and I have seen their footprints in the snow from overnight visits to our garden

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that a moose?

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, a small bull moose wandering through around Christmas.

Von Jones likes this.