Democracy Thearened Or Dead

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Is democracy being threatened or is it finished it seem that after the Colorado when they are saying don’t need to vote because we have found a person to represent you. Another words your vote don’t count because we will pick the person who can run. This happened in communist Russia having only one person on the ballet to vote for. The US is so much different we will have basically two both are picked by the elites for your choice but in reality they are the same with different faces. Like Bernie won the popular vote and Hillary got the delicates this is not democracy. When Trump goes to the GOP without a majority the delicates are up for bribe and not representing the electorate.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've read that this is causing many Republicans to leave the Party. I'm having doubts and second thoughts for the first time in my voting life.

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, @Martin Alonzo , I sincerely hope that "just threatened" turns out to be your answer. Because if the answer is "dead" then there's not much hope for a reversal. It's been surreal and the worst part of all of it to me is that no one seems to be able to stop it... it's like a snowball on the fast track to Hades. :(:(

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Democrats will win another election. Republicans can never find one candidate that even excites me.

Scary that my best option is Trump and now I'm reading so much negatives about him since I started really looking.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I see it, there are two possible good outcomes from the 2016 election. The first is that Donald Trump might win the nomination and the general election, which seems less likely every day. The second is that they will clearly cheat him out of it, and the Republican Party will implode as a result. I'd like to see a third party become competitive, or at least a different party. Better yet, I'd like to see people remove the ties they have to political parties but I don't see that happening yet.

Frank Sanoica and Sheldon Scott like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would probably like a third party too but I bet my idea of a third party would be different than yours so I already see problems with that.

I will say that I won't vote for Cruz and I also don't like Hillary so not many options.

7. Ken Anderson

I think there might be an attraction there for people from both sides of the political spectrum. I don't know, but I suspect that there are a lot of Bernie supporters who won't be voting for Hillary if she wins the nomination on the basis of super delegate votes. I know that when Donald Trump is cheated out of the nomination, a lot of Republicans won't be voting Republican in the general election. We won't all be voting for the same candidate necessarily, but there is some commonality within the Libertarian Party.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just looked on my tea party friends FB page and according to her Colorado did nothing wrong. She is for Cruz.

9. Ken Anderson

Forgive me if that's not the way you see it, but that's the sort of thinking that drives me nuts. Far too many people think that anything is okay as long as it benefits their candidate, their cause, or their interests. I think the name for that is outcome-based principles, and they really aren't principles at all.

Martin Alonzo and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

11. Ken Anderson

No, I'm saying that I disagree with her. What they did in Colorado was legal according to Republican Party rules but there are many people within the Party who do not believe that Republican Party rules are just or fair. My question would seldom be genuinely answered by those who subscribe to outcome based principles, but I would ask if she would have thought it was right if they had decided to pick Trump under the same conditions? Or Kasich, it doesn't matter who.

Martin Alonzo and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Probably not. She Hates Trump. There are many like her in the party. Wonder who she will vote for if it's not Cruz on the ticket?

13. Ken Anderson

I was a Ron Paul delegate in 2012 and the Ron Paul delegates group on Facebook is still active. There are former Ron Paul delegates who are for Cruz, Trump, and Bernie Sanders this year, as well as a large chunk of them who will be voting either for the Libertarian or Constitution Party candidates. I suppose I can't say there aren't any, but I haven't come across a former Ron Paul delegate supporting either Hillary or Kasich this year. They probably wouldn't talk about it if they were.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though Colorado is a western state, it's filling up with liberal yuppies who went there on vacations to ski, then returned to retire. Now they're reforming Colorado into the same liberal hell they're used to living in. IMO.:(

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It appears that it might be possible, although not easy, for Donald Trump to run on an independant ticket if he doesn't get the Republican nomination in July. Some of the states require a prior signup, but they don't all ask to know who the candidate is going to be; so if Trump puts some finances into getting these independant tickets set up, then he can just transfer onto thos if need be.
    There is still a lot of question about whether Ted Cruz is actually eligible to be president, and it could be that they will back him as the party candidate long enough to beat TRump, and then declare Cruz ineligible to run. That would leave only John Kasich, and would explain why he keeps hanging in the race, even though he appears not to be able to get the delagates to win, no matter what.
    Here is an interesting article from Lew Rockwell about this topic.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/political-theatre/can-trump-run-without-gop/