Devry Technical Institute

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, May 3, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Out of high school, I began attending DeVry in their two-year Electronics Technology Degree program. A private college, I knew little of it's workings.

One afternoon, a bunch of us seated around lab tables, two guys strode in, one I recognized as a Director of some kind, the other, more casually dressed, was an older guy, but huge! Not fat, mind you.

They walked over to the closest table, the stranger bellowing at the top of his voice, "Shake hands with Jack Dempsey, boys!"

Huh? I recognized the name, famous prizefighter, but thought to myself, this was some hoax going on. Later, the school confirmed it WAS the famous fighter! He had bought up a controlling amount of shares in the company!

This was one of those life-long remembered occurrences! "The Manassa Mauler", in person. Ten or fifteen years later, I had taken a job in Canon City, Colorado. My old high school friend, Charlie, (who will incidentally be visiting us the end of May), came out from Chicago, and we travelled southward to embark on the historic steam train excursion on the Cumbres and Toltec. As we entered a quaint, old Western town named Manassa, a big sign proclaimed "Birthplace of Jack Dempsey"!
    Frank

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. John Powers

John Powers Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Frank, My father Jim Powers managed the cafeteria at DeVry in the 50's and took me to Jack Dempsey's birthday party during those years. Do you remember that occasion?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Powers

What a small world! I started at DeVry in Feb. 1961, and met Jack Dempsey not too long after that, while working in a lab course. This suggests you grew up in Chicagoland? DeVry was quite close to the famous Riverview Park, of which I have stored some memorable pictures! Frank