Diagnosed With Hypothyroidism -- Now What?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, May 19, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am taking several vitamins and minerals each day, and adding things as I read the importance of them. Having the information about the soil here would be helpful; but maybe only if I was actually growing all (or at least most) of my own food. Since the food we buy at the grocery stores comes from all over; it is hard to say what minerals were actually in the soil where it was grown.
    I take niacin to open up the blood vessels and capillaries, and help me think clearer. I take a cal-mag-zinc every night, and do not have leg cramps at night anymore. I take potassium , which helps regulate my heart.
    Now, I am also taking the iodine drops, as well as the thyroid support minerals, which has selenium in it.
    I take B-12, and also a 1,000 mg vitamin C , and a B-complex.
    At night, I also take melatonin about a half hour before bed. After my shower, I spray on DMSO, also to help brain function.
    I use either olive oil or coconut oil for cooking, and I limit inflammatory foods , and try to include more of the anti-inflammatory ones. I just got a small bag of the pink Himalayan sea salt, which is supposed to be from oceans that existed in the Jusassic Period, and the minerals have added the color to the salt. I added it to the salt grinder, and also put some in a little jar for when I am making soup or something where I can just added the little chunks of salt.
    I know I still have a lot more to learn; but I keep reading, studying, and am slowly getting better.

Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have left out all oils out of my diet except for omega 3-6 the bottled oils will oxidase when exposed to air and become trans fats which cause inflammation even olive oil and coconut oil. Even worse when heated just look at Steve Jobs who had the best vegan chef who stir fried with ultra virgin olive oil. Most of the natural health people say they are good but I have seem people struggling to solve heath problem and when they quit all oils they improve. For me I have learned to do without.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm interested to hear how the pink Himalayan sea salt helps. Whenever I start getting cramps, I take a calcium magnesium potassium, and it helps. They're too expensive to take on a regular basis right now, but at least they help, and I have enough for a while. it sounds as if you're seeing a lot of improvement. Are you spacing out when you add something new, so you can tell which products are making a difference, and what the effects are?

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad to hear that Yvonne! God helps those, who kelp themselves!;)
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The dose of natural dessicated thyroid and the Lugols iodine are really helping. I have not changed any part of my life style, and I stopped gaining weight and am now even losing some of it again (thankfully).
    Here is a webpage with a little test quiz to answer and see if you might be low thyroid.
    Since every gland that makes a hormone uses iodine, we need it for much more than just the thyroid.

http://karenlangston.com/2012/01/low-thyroid-function-or-hypothyroidism-take-the-test/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going to check that out, @Yvonne, I've been told I have adrenal fatigue, as well, so hopefully I'll find something eventually that will help.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

When ever I have a health issue, which has not been often I do try to be as natural as I possibly can. I don't think doctors always act in your best interest. My daughter has cancer, so I have been doing some research and found a company that has educated me on the use of Chaga, a mushroom that has been helpful in helping people with cancer and thyroid issues also. You may want to look up the Chaga Mushroom to ger more information to learn if it maybe something you would consider. Hope you feel better soon.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Chaga is a fungus that grows on damaged portions of white birch trees. It is an alternative therapy, one that licensed doctors are unlikely to prescribe, and I can't tell you that it works or not. It can be made into a tea, however, and the tea tastes pretty good, particularly with natural honey. I've been drinking a bit of it lately. Unless you happen to have white birch trees, with Chaga, it's pretty expensive.

9. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne, I hope your treatments work for you. Please keep us posted on your progress. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease years ago. Per WebMD:
    "Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an inherited thyroid disorder in which the body's immune cells mistakenly attack the thyroid gland. This attack damages thyroid cells and interferes with the gland's ability to produce thyroid hormone." My thyroid is underactive, and I developed goiter. I had all the symptoms you can think of, including chest pains. My doctor put me on Levothyroxin and my symptoms all but disappeared. I agree with Ken's assertion that nature provides us with a cure for everything; I just don't think we've found it all yet. I didn't want to be "doomed to medication," but I didn't have an alternative.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have hypothyroid and have had it since I was about 20. In my 20's I probably ate lots of salt and iodine so that didn't seem to make a difference, although I'm sure now that I get less.

My first med was Armour, maybe back then it was the only one. Can't remember how long I took that. After that I was put on synthroid. When I was younger finding the right dose was more difficult for some reason and I was on a higher dose. In the last 10 years my dose has gone down to .88mcg and that's been consistent.

It's not expensive and I think you can get the generic for $5. I've never had any side effects on it either.

I don't know anyone that has, quite a few of my family members take synthroid...seems to run in my family. My mom even had thyroid cancer and had hers removed. That's not what she died from either.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

After my next surgery in August, I'll no longer have a thyroid so I'll be taking some of the same medications, I'm sure. It's good to hear both that it is inexpensive and that there are no side effects.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never had any, I don't even know what the listed side effects are. Even Brand name isn't that expensive, about $35 and that was without insurance. Generic is $5 and that's the same with or without insurance.

The one thing they say is to be consistent in brand or generic. It's one med that it's not a good idea to switch back and forth.

Diane Lane and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My mom had hers removed also and she was on the same dosage as I'm on. The .88 mcg. I know a few on that dose. Hopefully they find a good dose for you quickly but it's not an earth shattering experience.

I've been as low as .50 mcg and as high as 1, think I even had a .75 mcg but .88 is perfect. Just a matter of fine tuning. On occasion I've sometimes upped my dose a little when I felt really sluggish but not often becaus then I would run out. :)

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to my doctor last week for my annual well check visit. He called Monday and said I have hypothyroidism. For a long while now, I have been totally lacking in energy. That is listed as one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. He called in a prescription for levothyroxine. I took the first pill this morning. I sure hope it helps me have more energy.

Any of you have any experience with hypothyroidism?

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep....since I was about 16. Still don't have too much energy and Ive been on the med forever.

It takes awhile though..it's not a pill that you get instant results with.

Shirley Martin likes this.