Did (or Do) You Take Your Lunch To Work?

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I do and I can say always. I see people running out on their lunch break and buying stuff and then having only a few minutes to eat. Or I have also seen people come back to the break room, clock in at the 1/2 hour time and then stay another 15 minutes or more before going back to work. I've heard other co-workers complain about people who do this.

Currently I eat in my car and even in the summer I could park in direct shade under trees so it wasn't too bad since I usually go to lunch about 1030-1100 AM.

No food is free but going out all the time is costly also. If I'm going to get a coffee from one of the drive through coffee places or something (which I don't do very often) I'd rather get it on my day off while running errands where I can drink it and enjoy it and not have to hurry eating or drinking something.

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never worked that much but would prefer taking it. My daughter always takes her lunch then eats it between patients and on her lunch hr does errands.

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

That's a pretty rushed way to eat @Chrissy Cross (I've eaten rushed like that) I too like to bring my lunch. I know what's in it. I have not taken lunch breaks and that's brutal. I've only done it once since I started this job in late June. One of my residents started having chest pain the minute I had my bag in my hand to go to lunch. But of coarse I couldn't leave her. And that was the end of any lunch break attempt that day.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not in the working outside of home field anymore but when I was and if I still were...yes I did and would bring my own lunch.

I couldn't see then and wouldn't see now how one can spend a good chunk of their paychecks on buying lunch every day.

I would treat myself to a bought lunch every once in awhile though. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

She probably doesn't rush too much..probably depends on her schedule. It's not about the money for her because she could afford to eat out but she eats healthy and doesn't like wasting time eating lunch somewhere...she'd rather shop or at least get some errands out of the way...she's pretty busy in life.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You get only 30 minutes to eat lunch @Kitty Carmel? What ever happened to that "lunch hour" at work? :)

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The last time I had a job that I had to clock into was in 1986, and I generally bought my meals from the catering truck that came by. As a paramedic, we would go to restaurants because we were still working while we were at lunch. In fact, when I worked in Los Fresnos, there were times when I had breakfast and lunch without leaving the restaurant. When I was chairman of the EMT department at TSTC, I had campuses in Harlingen and McAllen, so I would eat fast food stuff during my drive from Harlingen to McAllen, as I had morning classes in Harlingen and afternoon classes in McAllen.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Always took mine...and he still takes his..
    but of course I make his lunch.
    Much cheaper-quicker for us. But did enjoy buying lunch on ocassion for a nice change.

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

It doesn't exist for us flunky workers like me, that's for sure. At my last job I was at for 6 1/2 years the department heads loved to feed themselves in the conference room (seems like it was at least once a month) with catered and restaurant foods. They would bring their left overs to the break room. I never touched the stuff.

Eating out every day would add up fast and I wonder how some do it. A coffee place coffee adds up too and I know people who do that on a daily basis. I don't think I've had one in over 6 months.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I very rarely got time for an actual lunch break....so I would take bananas in , and eat them as I went along..a bit here and there... Sometimes I would take a can of Mussels in.. and eat them right out of the can ..it could take me the whole 12 hours to get the time to eat the whole can

There was the odd occasions where I knew I'd manage to get an hour....so I would spend it grocery shopping...I worked 12 hour days so there was rarely time to shop...so on the occasions I did manage to find time for a proper hour long break, I'd use it to get the grocery shopping in a nearby supermarket and grab a milky coffee and a hot sausage roll, to keep me sustained. very unhealthy of course..and I did that for years, and now I'm paying the price..

11. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm pretty lucky in the fact that the hotel provides lunch everyday for free.

Full salad bar, 2 entree choice, veggies and sometimes desert.

We get 30 minutes for lunch and they figure its easier in the long run to provide us with lunch.

On Friday mornings starting at 7 am. we have free breakfast.
    Scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, biscuits, waffles and juice. ( and still a free lunch later that day )

I...........live...........for.........Fridays!

Every other Thursday, Gourmet lunch Vans park across the street from the hotel.
    Pull Pork, Pizza, burgers, grilled cheese, you name it, they sell it.

Now you know why I have to walk all those miles everyday!!!:)

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Holly Saunders It's ridiculous to work a 12 day without a decent lunch break. I've done it but when I worked 12 hour shifts for 10 years it was rare I didn't take a 1/2 hour break. But that would be my only break. I don't take the 10 or 15 minute breaks. Would love to see a check if I could ever get paid for those breaks I haven't taken.

@Tim Burr It's nice that you are able to have food provided at your job and that they do so. I knew a guy who worked in a hospital kitchen and he told me they were NOT allowed to eat food. He said the weekend manager didn't care and they could but not during the week with the regular manager. That's just mean especially when he told me they threw a lot away.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep @Kitty Carmel , it was ridiculous, and what made it worse was that I was supposed to factor in an hour lunch break, because I wasn't paid for ''lunch''... but I just never had the time to fit it in...so every month they were getting 20 hours work free out of me on top of the long hours...

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I worked in the paper industry, I think our lunch breaks were only twenty minutes. Most of the time, I was in a union plant so it was a matter of what was important for us. We could have fought for longer lunch breaks but we'd have had to give up something else, so twenty minutes was enough. A catering truck came by and, for anyone who was desperate, there were the vending machines. There was a refrigerator for lunches but I don't think very many people used it for anything other than sodas since you could bring them from home cheaper than they cost in the vending machine. Of course, that was probably offset by thefts.

At times when we worked regular 12-hour shifts, such as when the company had a large special order to get out, they would cater lunch for us - sometimes fancy, other times pizza. It was in our contract that if we worked 12-hour shifts or longer, the company had to supply lunch.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ken Anderson I'm surprised the lunch was only 20 minutes with a union job but it sounds like it was agreed upon by the workers? When I worked at the cannery which was union for two seasons our breaks had added minutes to make up for the time it took to walk to and from the work area to the break area.

I don't trust the work fridge. I had a locker at my last job and took a small cooler. At my job I carry a tote and keep my lunch in the middle zip compartment with a couple of cold packs. Works well.

I'm sure that was not an easy job you did there.

Ken Anderson likes this.