Did Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer Threaten Supreme Court Justices

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Shirley Martin, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I read this on CNN because I wanted to see their spin on it. Of course, they tried to soft pedal it...… he didn't mean it that way..... he made an unfortunate choice of words in the heat of the moment. And, naturally, : Well, Trump does it.

I have heard President Trump say many things, some of which I didn't agree with. But I have never heard him threaten the Supreme Court Justices.

"Chief Justice John Roberts on Wednesday rebuked Schumer in a rare statement.
    "This morning, Senator Schumer spoke at a rally in front of the Supreme Court while a case was being argued inside. Senator Schumer referred to two Members of the Court by name and said he wanted to tell them that 'You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price," Roberts said.
    He continued, "You will not know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.' Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous. All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter."

Tom Galty and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother was personally acquainted with Chuck Schumer, and I have met him several times myself. He was Congressman in our district for years. He screwed it up. He meant to say Republicans who supported these nominations will feel wrath at the voting booth when they come up for reelection. He misspoke, and it came out sounding dumb. Chuck doesn't threaten people. He sends his cousin Amy to do it. ;)

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Only in my dreams. Especially Amy!

Tom Galty and Shirley Martin like this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

yes...he threatened by names...supreme court justices have families and a life to guard in the days of hatred

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't believe he meant to say other than what he said exactly. I've watched this guy for years and I am glad I lived in Manhattan. Bad enough we have Nadler for God's sake.