Did You Ever Want To Live In A Large City?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Kitty Carmel, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I did. In the early 90's I wanted to move to San Francisco. I thought it would be fun to live in a very large city. I ended up in a large town and I'm actually glad I never made that adventure. I wouldn't even mind a smaller town at this point but some amenities and conveniences matter also. I don't want to live where I would have to drive a long way just to get something.

My mother was from a large European city and loved San Francisco. She liked the business of the city. But I don't know if she would have ever wanted to live in one again.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I like big cities and the conveniences they offer. I know I would not like being out in the boonies at this stage of my life.

I loved Chicago!

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Oh that's cool. Yes, the boonies don't work when you get a little older. I've seen this play out at work. People when they retire wanted some land and bought some. Then fast forward and they are in their 80's or older and living too far out someplace and it's become dangerous.

I just think now, I would never want to live in a big city where at one time it would have probably been fun. But the expense!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Fresno actually is the perfect size for me. I live in my nice section of town but I'm never more than 5 miles from multiple supermarkets, targets, Walmart s, costcos, sams, Trader Joe's and even one Whole Foods.

A few malls and many many outdoor plazas. I'm near Woodward park which is one of the nicest in Fresno.

Near the best hospital and all my drs.

And Fresno is only a 2-4 hr drive from the Monterey Penisula, SF, Los Angeles etc. quite a few national parks here also. Yosemite is only 57 miles from me.

Guess I shouldn't complain about the heat in the summer since our winters are pleasant.

Population of Fresno is about 500,000 I think.

Hmmmm...nice plug for Fresno! :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Chicago? Aren't they the "murder Capital" of America. Having heard of an murders so far this year, but last year........lots of them among blacks.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, but depends where you live. I felt safe in the 70's where we lived.

My aunt still lives there and she's in her late 70's and lives alone and she's dime where she lives.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nope, no more "big city" living for us. After living in Orange County, California cities for a number of years and now living in the biggest city in Florida (at least that's what's said), absolutely not. When we leave here, we plan on moving to a much small city that has 80,000 people in it, not 913,000 like here.

I was not raised in a "big city" at all and neither was my wife. As long as medical is close enough by, a nice mall and a few other things, we will be happy.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Of course, sometimes, it takes "money" to live in a nice/safe area of a city. Where we currently live, sure isn't the cheapest part of this city, but is awfully safe.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But what about if for whatever reason you can't drive or have health issues as you age?

And, there are murders in the nicest areas also if you pay attention to the news.

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I grew up in the "murder capital of the world" Santa Cruz, California, and survived. I still remember all that and I was pretty young. People were even going door to door though out the town asking questions and if anyone knew anything on some of the cases.

Like I said, no city wishing for me anymore either.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Santa Cruz is where the boardwalk is, right @Kitty Carmel? Ive been a few times with the grandsons.

Also lots of hippies...

I wouldn't want to live in LA or Oakland but I think even Santa Cruz has some good areas..

I'd also hate driving in SF!

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I have an app about local news in Loveland, CO and the crime rate there is very low.........all over that city. At least compared to here it is.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm sure it is. There may never be a murder there but it can happen anywhere, anytime is all I'm saying.

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, I was born and raised in the largest city in my country ... we lived in the best part of the city, which had relatively little crime..but only a few miles from the city centre so everything was within a short bus or train ride ...

I loved the City...and everything available on the doorstep.... and although I've lived in the country for 40 years I would love to live back in the city again especially now for the ease and convenience of everything . but I wouldn't go back, because of the much higher population and bigger crime rate than when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's.. It would probably be not as bad as I feared bu after living in a rural village of less than a 1,000 where the nearest large town is a quiet country market town of 26.000 people... all these years ( with exceptions of my time away working in other countries)..I would be living on my last nerve I think. It's annoying because for seniors we need decent facilities right on our doorstep... I'd love to be able to take a bus straight into the city centre in 10 minutes flat... and not have to battle horrendously crowded roads by car for example. My dream would be to live right in the middle of the city centre, but the thought of all that traffic pollution, noise, and crime...forgetaboutit...

Kitty Carmel and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Top question, answer: That's why Seniors make friends and most cities, even smaller ones, have a bus service for Seniors.