Did You Have A Fear Of Public Speaking In High School?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Long, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

In 10th Grade English Class, I had such a kind teacher, he just commented on my remarks, rather than my shaking hands and knees during my book report. I think about that day from time to time and know I was only a baby trying to learn to stand up!

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I hated getting up in front of the class and giving a speech. You were lucky to have a teacher who was kind and understanding. You would think that since this is such a hard thing for kids to do, that more teachers would be patient and understanding. My teacher was the typical strict type that had no compassion and would push and tell you to speak up, etc.

Even though I hated giving speeches, I did love to read out loud when I was in elementary school. Reading was one of the things that I was always good at, so I was comfortable and enjoyed it.

Susan Long and Richard Paradon like this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It has been a long time since high school but I do not remember having any problems there. But during elementary school, we did have some nasty monsters posing as teachers who would pick on the kids (myself included) who had a fear of standing and speaking. It would have been OK if we were given any encouragement or help, but she just seemed to take delight with her all mighty power. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I also hated the after vacation "What did you do this summer?" It was no secret that I was a street kid and did not go anywhere.

Susan Long likes this.
  4. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

The only time I was really terrified was when I had to take a French oral exam, although it was just me and the examiner in the room. (I passed the exam.) I was too much of an introvert to put my hand up to give an answer in class. I was always self-conscious and lacking in confidence, which did not make me popular with teachers or with classmates. I was not afraid of speaking in public at high school, just too unsure of myself.

Susan Long likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For some reason, I stuttered during high school. I did not stutter in elementary school, perhaps because I was related to pretty much everyone there. As our town did not have a high school, we were bused to a nearby city for grades 9-12, where I knew only those who had come from the same elementary school as I, and for some reason, most of them were not in any of my classes. It wasn't a debilitating, persistent, stutter like some people have had, but high school is a pretty sensitive time, and it would come out sometimes.

I learned that I did not stutter when I was reciting lines that were not my own, and participated in a community theater program that included area adults as well as high school students. So I could usually prepare myself for presentations well enough, basically memorizing what I was going to say and reciting it as if they were lines but if I were called upon for something otherwise, I would sometimes stutter.

Richard Paradon and Susan Long like this.
  6. Susan Long

Registered

Your ability to read aloud was a great positive for you Mal. Being able to read with an animated voice is a great strength as an adult also.

Richard, you are so right about the, "What did you do this summer?" question. That is a big one through the years of my days in school. I would often say, "I had the time of my life", when really, it was just an ordinary summer, working in the garden to help my parents.

Ruth, I would have been terrified of a French oral exam as well! I took Spanish as my foreign language option, and it was a real stretch for me to say a word or two when the teacher asked for a response.

Wow, Ken, it sounds like you did a great job finding your ability to achieve by participating in the community theater. With a great memory, I'm sure you were an impressive actor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    Richard Paradon likes this.
  7. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I was terrified of public speaking in high school and to be honest I still am. I did give one short presentation at my bonsai club a few years ago, but only with the help of a senior member. It felt a lot more comfortable doing it that way than standing up to talk on my own.

Susan Long and Richard Paradon like this.
  8. Richard Paradon

Registered

After awhile, it becomes second nature, Michelle! Just like the first time you take the microphone at a karaoke club; the first time is terrifying but after a little while you want that mic all for yourself!

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I still hate getting in front of people to speak. When I am nervous I talk very fast, I speak fast normally so being nervous makes me talk like a New York minute.

Susan Long likes this.
  10. Richard Paradon

Registered

At one of the hospitals I worked at, I was required to be on a weekly in-house television show. I always had two 3x5 cards in front of me; one said "Slow Down!" and the other, "Enunciate!"

Susan Long likes this.
  11. Susan Long

Registered

Michelle, I agree, I am much more comfortable speaking in a small group setting. I have spoken in many small group settings, and in those settings you can really connect with others more closely, and 'feel' their reactions.

12. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes...and now you can't shut me up!:):):)

13. Richard Paradon

Registered

Hi GREENS! Welcome to the forum. I am also a noisy person so I am sure we will have lots to share here!

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't remember standing in front of the classroom in high school. I have this knack where I block out unpleasant experiences :rolleyes:. I do remember when my first year in community college and each of us had to present a speech which we were graded on pitch, tone and projection. Afterward we received the areas where to improve. Second go round I made a B+ :). It didn't help much though when I worked at a car dealership and on my first day one of the sales manager came back and asked me what was I doing :oops: he could hardly hear what I was saying. Then he gave me this analogy, "I bet you don't talk like that to your kids, belt it out like you would do to them." So I did :D.

Susan Long likes this.
  15. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

I look forward to it.