Did You Have A Fear Of Public Speaking In High School?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Long, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Michelle, I too love small group settings. I really enjoy them when I'm teaching. This is something I've learned about myself late in life but really enjoy it nevertheless. I agree that it is much easier to connect with individuals in small group settings. It's amazing to learn how much you have in common with absolute strangers--so much fun!

Susan Long likes this.
  2. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I was the "most behaved" type in the class during my high school days. During recitation, my voice would tremble and my hands so co

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When we had to give an oral report in school; I usually found some excuse to stay home that day, I hated doing those so badly.
    I was fine with just the written reports; but abosolutely terrified when i had to stand in front of the class and talk. Even when the teacher would call us to the blackboard to write something, or show our work on solving a math problem; I hated doing that.
    In fact, I even hated having to walk up to the front of the room to give the teacher my lunch money for the day, and we had to do that every single day ! I almost ran all the way up and back again, and of course, that made the kids laugh at me even more when i did that.
    It was even worse when I became an insurance rep. I had to go to homes and business and talk to people, and I was so afraid of doing it that I would sneak back to the motel room and cry after everyone had left to go and see their appointments.
    Finally, I devised the method of pretending (roll-playing) that I was our manager, who would stride up to people's doors with supreme confidence. In my mind, i would be saying "I am Bruce, I am confident", and trying my best to walk up to doors like Bruce did .
    I finally was able to do it; but I still hate having to get up in front of people and do or say anything.