Did Your School Offer Art Or Music?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Nancy Hart, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don’t remember actually having either art or music classes in grade school, except for one year, when I was in the 4th grade. I went to a Seventh Day Adventist school until 5th grade, and there must have been some kind of a music program there because the teacher wanted us to have musical instruments. Maybe , she was just selling them, because I really do not remember have a band class per se at the school.

We had a teacher that came through and was giving accordion lessons, and my mom sent me off for that, which I enjoyed; but wasn’t very good at.
    Then,I was in public school by 5th grade, and we had band once or twice a week; but we went somewhere on a school bus for band class. It was a small town, so maybe there was only one band class for all the schools ? I don’t remember where we went anymore, just that we had to take the “band bus” to get there.
    In junior and senior high school, we had both band and art classes, and I was in band until 9th grade, but I don’t remember being in the band in high school.

Art class was my favorite, because I loved to draw and paint, and was always doodling on my papers in class (which the teachers didn’t approve of). One year, I took leatherwork, and ordered a kit from Tandy leather to make a bridle, breast collar, and saddlebags for my horse. It was a big project and took me forever to finish, but it was beautiful afterwards, and I used it for many years for my horses.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, we only had music one year in elementary school. I had the idea that they had tried it and it didn't work out. I had fun with it but mostly I was just trying to make people laugh. I don't think very many people actually tried to do a good job of it.

It was kind of like nap time in kindergarten. We kicked each other, pinched each other, laughed and giggled, but anyone who was actually sleeping would have probably been attacked.