Digging A Hole In The Movies Or On Television

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have you noticed that whenever someone has to dig a hole in the movies or on television, they rarely have any trouble doing so? Whether they are burying treasure or a body, they can dig as deep as they want. They can dig a hole six-feet deep in the middle of a forest, using pretty much any kind of a shovel.

Have you ever tried to dig a hole in a forest? There are trees there, and trees have big roots that don't go straight down. The ground beneath a forest is riddled with roots and often rocks as well. Most people have trouble digging a hole deep enough to plant a tree ten feet from a forest. It's never a problem in the movies though. Everything is beach sand, only the tide never comes in to fill it up again.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yep 'tis true but as a viewer you'd be very bored watching them take 6 hours to dig the hole ....;) :D

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, everything seems so much easier
    Watched an old movie recently, the guy was frantically digging a grave hole in his lounge !
    A sight to behold !

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it is TV- it's the only place in the world where you can be born grow up- get married have your own kid and die roughly 45 minutes:)

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha ! :p

6. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's kind of strange that everyone has a great house, a nice car, and no one ever has to pay for any thing. As far as digging a hole goes, I was watching a movie this morning, where the guy carried a body into the woods, there was a shovel just sitting against a tree, and he was digging like it was fresh turned. The funny part is I thought exactly that, no one can dig a hole that big with out a rock bar and a pick.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Never thought of this but I think you are right!

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Curious that you have brought this up! Of course, as one who has dug, and attempted to dig, foxholes, self-made caves, and the like, I am fully aware of the discontinuity between seeing holes dug, and actually performing the feat oneself.

In fact, my best friend and I while in the 8th. grade, wanting to create an underground hideout on property my folks owned in rural Michigan, created the result that thinking blasting would ease the digging process, I endeavored to make up some "blasting powder" in the basement, a foolhardy move which resulted in 2nd. degree burns all over my face and the hand doing the "mixing", followed by several years of readjusting to a pubertal time of enduring endless painful criticism from former "friends", a face looking like a fried plum, all the typical hormonal desires present but blocked from use by appearance........

I think my mind was affected to the extent that I became completely encompassed by a desire to do the best, learn the best, be the best; I accomplished this by working on fast cars. Became a welder, pipe-fitter, hydraulics worker, sheet-metal worker, machinist, electrical whiz, all because I had to prove to myself I was better, that I could.

Have these teen-aged blips persevered over to old age? You guys tell me!
    Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A little off-topic, but along the same lines: Do you notice that two cops with 9-mm semi auto handguns can take on ten guys armed with mac-10s or AR 15s and win?

Chris Ladewig and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

When I was a SWAT medic, I had to qualify with a handgun and rifle along with the police, and I was better shot than at least a quarter of them.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    I wonder if that was because you likely grew up around firearms, as I did, whereas maybe a lot of aspiring police officers did not.
    Frank

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    One of the "sore points" with me is similar: several bad guys and cops, sometimes only one on one, stand facing one another all pointing handguns at each other. No one squeezes a trigger, as a "talk-down" ensues.

Absolutely ridiculous. In real life? Won't ever happen. Several such classic scenes appear in the movie "Con Air", bespoiling any degree of authenticism.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Probably. I had a B-B gun when I was about eight, and .22 when I was eleven or twelve, although I was allowed to shoot my dad's firearms before that time. I never hunted, but I did a lot of shooting.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Also watch how a 5'4" lady cop can kick in an exterior deadlocked steel door with one kick.

15. Ken Anderson

I think I just saw one do that in a movie last night, so I know it can be done.