Diy At Eighty

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jim Nash, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you still carry out DIY and redecorating at eighty? I am eighty-six and find my confidence is decreasing faster than the ability to carry out tasks, plus a stubborn reluctance to acknowledge reduced mobility is a problem.
    Possibly it is a handicap having a wealth of practical ability built up through a working class background. How do other geriatrics feel?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we have to be sensible now and not stubborn, loss of balance is more common as we age so accidents are
    very likely. Ladders are a definite avoid

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, I have trouble getting up once I am down, and I only climb ladders when it is absolutely necessary and there is someone at the bottom to steady it. I still hate plumbing, but I do sheetrocking/mudding, carpentry and electrical stuff if it is needed. I am not as old as you though, @Jim Nash. I am still in my 70s

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It must be more than frustrating to still have the ability in your head but your body won't obey!! .. anyone still doing DIY in their 80's has my utmost admiration, but really it's a folly to not realise your limitations now, frustrating as it is..

I hope I can get to 86 and be asking the same question Jim...somehow I doubt it...

Don Alaska, Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m 19 years your junior @Jim Nash so I can’t compare my experiences with yours. That said, I see some guys in the gym who are in their 80’s and doing quite well.
    One 80++ years old gent (buddy) at the gym is still squatting 350lbs and better and his son says that Buddy is pretty active around the house.
    Another octogenarian I know is talking about digging a Coy pond in his back yard but earlier in the year he was saying that the heat seems to get to him a lot more so mowing the lawn with his push mower is out on a hot day.

As for myself, there are some things I hate to do like crawling under the house or roofing or some plumbing work but if they are going to get done, I do it. Since I manage some houses for a friend of mine and do all of any renovations that need to be done one could definitely say that I stay pretty active in the DIY area. God forbid that I should have to hire someone to do the things I know how to do.
    I know that eventually I “might” have to rely more on outside help but I do hope that that won’t happen for at least another 40 years or so.

Don Alaska and Bill Boggs like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I may not do it well, but I sometimes do it myself, particularly since the handyman we've been using lately does it so badly. If I want it done badly, I shouldn't have to pay someone. Before him, we had a child molester doing work around the house and he did a great job. People on the sex offenders list work cheap, too. Unfortunately, someone beat him up and he's disabled now.

I have a list of things that I want to do myself because I know that I can do them right, but most of them have to be done without several feet of snow on the ground and I tend to put things off.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Your thinking is perfectly normal, Mr. Nash...don't try to second-guess or modify the natural aging process!

Hal Pollner, 83 in July.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I just did a bit of re arranging in my living room. It was difficult but holding on to chairs & sitting on my Walker seat made it easier. I am very careful bending over. I feel it's necessary for me to do some of these things for exercise and to retain what little mobility I have.