Do We Have Any Saturday Worshippers On The Forum?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, May 2, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Jehovah's Witnesses also meet on Saturdays.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I was once a very devout Catholic and frankly I worshiped daily for I went to Mass every day of the week.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well Hugh, I do not see anyone jumping on your question. Perhaps a small lead in might help others to at least guess.

Wondering how to word it without spilling the whole bag of beans, I guess writing that until a major sect of Christianity declared its right to decide what day the Sabbath should be on, Sunday was NEVER declared to be the Sabbath.

There, that should invoke a small bit of curiosity so let’s see...........

4. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like the responses you have given.

There is still some debate about this matter in some circles. But we know these facts:

Constantine in AD 321 appointed Sunday as the official “day of rest.”He made “Christianity” a state religion as well as build St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, more for political reasons,seeking to advance his own causes. In fact, there is controversy as to whether he himself was a Christian. Some say he was converted to Christianity on his death bed.

Bible-believing Christians, referring to John 20:1, believe that Sunday worship began with the resurrection of Christ, which occurred on the first day of the week, as recorded in scripture.For Christians, that is the event without which there would be no Christianity. For otherwise, we would be of all people the most to be pitied. We would be deceived, without hope, without a future.

Additionally, Jesus appeared to His disciples on a Sunday, and then again on the first day of the next week (John 20:26). The Day of Pentecost occurred, as well, on the first day (Acts 2:1), just as it did according to Old Testament law in Leviticus 23,when the first fruits of the wheat harvest were presented, and the covenant made with God at Mount Sinai was remembered and renewed.

Also, on this same day (Acts 2:14), the first converts were added to the church, and the first believer’s baptisms took place (Acts 2:37).

So, the bottom line is: Christians do not keep the ten commandment law of Moses for their salvation. (Paul wrote of this extensively in the epistles, that to be saved by the Law is not possible, but by faith only) This is not to say that Christians are free to steal, murder and commit adultery, just because the 10 commandments are part of the old law! Christians are under a better Law, the law of Christ, or a New Covenant (Gal 6:2), (Heb 8:6-7).

But, as you pointed out, I still wonder if we should still hold the Sabbath in high regard, because in Genesis, God rested on the seventh day after His work of creation.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, kinda sorta. Romans 3:21 asks the questions: “do we nullify the law by this faith”? Then answers with: Not at all but rather we uphold the law”.

Many Christians do not understand that we still uphold and are very mindful of the Law but (and this is key), we are not condemned by the law through the sacrifice of Jesus.

Now, so far as the Sabbath goes, we are still bound to keep the Sabbath and to keep it holy and it is still on the last day of the week. The first day is the Day of the Lord which some actually misinterpret to mean the Sabbath.

Now, I honestly do believe that whether we come together to meet on a Saturday or a Sunday to worship is a not a real issue for whatever day one gets to set aside just for rest and to thank God for His grace and gift to us is just fine. In all actuality, every day is a good day to worship and thank God but the rest part is a little trickier but is good for us to do.

It’s not a matter of works, it is a matter of heart but after all, we do show our faith and love of God through our works, and like the Jewish sage advice goes, “above all else, God is just.” and God knows our heart.

Edit and Note: I forgot to write that it was the Catholic Church which decided in the early 1940’s that it had the infallible right to decide what day the Sabbath was to be observed.
    Others claim that it was the Episcopal church of England that made that decision sometime in the late 1800’s but nevertheless, other than that, the protestant still has a Sabbath on Saturday AND the Day of the Lord on Sunday. ( Resurrection Day)

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My grand parents were Seventh Day Adventist Missionaries in Haiti where my father and his two brothers were born. My dad never followed the faith but his two brothers did.

Nathaniel Merritt likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Whatever!

Jeff Elohim likes this.